cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

The 710 is followed by newer models 720 ad 730. Canon is giving away old stock probably a good tax writeoff. I have the 720 I bought because I cured my 280 with the velcro. Love my 280 and don't want it replaced.

Pardon my poor sentence construction. I meant to say I bought a 720 but love my 280 with the velcro cure shown on this forum.

Can you give me their contact number?  My understanding is the 710 has a lesser CMOS sensor than the 280, rendering a lesser quality in low light shooting?  Is it true?

Just received an update, the charge went from $98 to $00 and they have shipped me a 710 replacing the 280 I sent in.

@pe4710man wrote:

Just received an update, the charge went from $98 to $00 and they have shipped me a 710 replacing the 280 I sent in.

That's good news for some but I don't want the 710. I want the higher zoom the 280 has. So Canon is saying they are unable to fix the 280's problem? They send a substitute instead? Did you get the unfixable 280 back?

@pe4710man wrote:

OK for some but I want the longer zoom of the 280. So is Canon saying they can't fix the 280? Did you get your 280 back from Canon?

@UnionStation wrote:

The fix is no fix - it's a risky workaround that could set your lithium ion battery on fire. This alleged workaround also leaves you with no ability to tell when your battery is going to run out. You may have 1 shot or 100 left, and you'll never know until the camera just shots down on you. There's no fix for that, no matter what anyone tells you.

It's not an alleged work around, it's a fact. I don't think anyone is claiming this is a fix but at least I can use the camera. When the battery runs out the camera stops working and I put in my spare. I'm living with it because I don't trust Canon to actually fix it based on past experience.

SX280 SX280HS battery problem SOLVED

search this topic and my fix is about 4 answers and pictures down. I use only about 1/8" velcro not the large piece in the first photo submitted by one user. Works for me. Keeps battery seated.

denver80237
Apprentice

I'm just putting in my two cents.  

I don't think this is just a video issue. It seems to me that the camera doesn't actually know how to use the battery properly at all.  For example.  I drained it all the way down by shooting video.  It turned itself off.  I turned it back on and took more than 200 pictures.  Tried to go back to video, died instantly.  Turned it back on again got another 100 pictures.  Died.  Back on again, took another 50 pictures.  died.  back on - 28 pictures.  died. back on - 7 pictures.  so my battery may finally be "dead dead."

There seems like absolutely no way that I should be able to take 400+ pictures after the battery dies from video.  If it has that much battery left, let me keep using it for video. So again, I don't think this is just a video thing.

I think it's a battery thing overall. 

I also agree that this camera does not no how to use battery management at all.
Announcements