cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

It's not just the SX700 series, it's the same with the S100 sticky shutter problem. A Panasonic or Sony would blow the socks of the SX700's regarding battery life when video recording.... and stills for that matter.

When I send a camera in I want to be getting my own back, not a refurbished one you don't know who's had. Until I hear different I too will stay away from Canon products.

The complaints could easily be halved if Canon offered a refund or a refund with cash adjustment against another model.

Reading between the lines tells me these faults are not solved at factory level, just what was Canon doing releasing them without proper testing, what was their quality control doing..... on vacation were they?

It's easy because they are a good company canon believe that they can do anything...  As you can see they release a bad camera and still selling.... 

So if the serial number on the camera is not in the range given,  or it has the mark as described , does that mean that the camera does work okay in video mode ?

I realy want to buy this camera as it has excellent reviews, and is now £99 in the UK.   But ... I was hoping to use it instead of a video camera as well as  stills.    

Forget it!    Check out another brand. Sony or other.

@ MrBenn

Whoooa, slow up a bit, here you are about to buy a camera for £99 when they were almost three times that brand new. You would do well to ask yourself a question or two here.

Why so cheap, is it a refurbised unit, what if it goes faulty..... one thing you won't be getting a brand spanking new unit, you can gurantee Canon will have had their sticky hands on it at a repair center.

Maybe they just want to get rid of them, if that was the case why haven't they all been sold, I smell a rat and it stinks, can anyone else smell it?

Davy

Agree. I have payed a camera that doesn't work properly... Canon don't assume the error... Don't buy Canon...

This camera is a lemon. You're paying £99 for a camera that may or may not work when you need it most. The serial number range is Canon's claim. No one here ever found a true cure, just janky workarounds that involve tape and jumper cables.

I love my two SLR Canons and I fixed my SX280 with the velcro. Works fine now but it is a lemon and takes great pictures. I hardly use the video because I have dedicated Sony's for that.

If Canon says SX280 becomes with no video everything is ok but Canon still referring that camera can make videos (NOT TRUE!!!!!)

scupking
Enthusiast
We shouldn't have to return the camera for a software update.....
Announcements