cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I have been on this string practically since the first day.  I have been hovering- hoping Canon would come through some day ! I enjoy my SX280 camera- and I live within it's limitations. BUT- I will be Happy to return mine and see what happens! I feel that it is worth a try!

@QualityPictures wrote:

@GON22, with the tape on the center contact, what happens in the camera when the battery runs flat?

The camera may explode and the bomb squad should be called. Kidding! It just stops working like it would do with a depleted battery.

Frankly, after reading the past results of Canon "fixing" member's SX280 I'll keep what I have and work with it. Right now it is working after my velcro fix and chalk this up to "a lemon happens sometimes". I love my other Canon's and Panasonics. The SX80 is still useable altho I wonder every time I fire it up but I'll live with it rather than trust what I'd end up from the Canon Factory repair.

Thanks for the info,  GON22. 

I think there is two problems with this camera. One in the contact pressure,  which Canon is offering to fix, and the other is the cutting off while recording video,  especially when zooming,  which I bet they don't fix.

So be careful, as you may end up with a refurbished camera and still have the video recording low battery issue.

I don't know if all Canon cameras work with the same tension but as you can see all the reported cameras have 4.3 volts on their batteries....

This problem didn't happen just in VIDEO. I don't shoot video with my camera but it kept happening with still shots so....others must have had still shot battery problems, too.

I don't intend to return the camera. It works fine with the tape. Velcro pressure was no help.

My camera is the same as yours, but my whole family uses this camera. So taking away the battery level indication in the camera would cause frustration and missed photo and video opertunities. Also the worry of charging, as sometimes a battery can be left in the charger for weeks. I'd have to run some tests to see if just the full charge light is affected or whether the battery can end up being over charged, with the tape on.

I have an extra battery with tape only to make videos. I don't want a refurbished camera i don't want a camera from another person i want a new and fixed camera. 

How do you spell Edsel?

Announcements