cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

This is totally unacceptable Canon I bought my wife a 280 about 9 months ago for quick point shoot and vids. The Video element / battery zoom issue has been left by you guys and gals to fester WHY?!? I suggest you can't fix it...... If this is the case come clean.

lalau
Contributor

recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recall? Don't hold your breath. This camera has been discontinued and replaced by a new model (with its own problems). If you're thinking about buying this camera used or refurbished, DO NOT DO IT! Look back at all the complaints, and you'll see that Canon denied the problems with this camera from the very beginning, and never made things right with customers.

AndresLa
Contributor
Hi all , I will test this idea. Buy Kit ACK-DC40, cheap AliExpress (U$S 12). From Kit use only false battery adapter and connector. Buy Flashlight + 18650 batteries (same voltage , technology, much more battery capacity than Canon original NB6L) + Charger (U$S 25) kit. Use the flashlight as battery holder with a cable plugged into the camera. Put the flashlight in your pocket and shoot many videos !!!

kevintao
Apprentice

This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it.

derekruddock
Apprentice

Hi

Just for information I suffered this problem, product was returned to Canon but got the standard "it's OK it meets the specification".

Well I bought a 3rd party mains adaptor used the battery adaptor supplied with this made a battery holder into a handle that screws in the base. The 2700mAh battery runs the video fine.

Achieved >50 minutes recording and still no battery issues, zooimng causes no problem either.

You will need to be keen to do this but if you get the right type of battery then you will be rewarded with an excellent HD video recorder.

Hope this helps anyone considering this way forward.

Regards Del

Just use a thin strip of masking tape over the middle contact on the battery and all will be fine!

UnionStation
Rising Star
Everyone reading this be aware that Canon is offering a FREE repair but actually REPLACING the SX280 (which even Canon now acknowledges is unfixable) with a newer model, the SX710. If they try to charge you for the repair, remind that there is a service bulletin on the sx280, and they will relent.

blackberet
Apprentice

SHAME ON YOU Canon!

Even with latest firmware (1.0.2.0) the baterry issue still persists and the camera is simply unsable.

Bought it a week ago and have to return it now. This is a complete BS!  

Bye bye Canon.

Hello Panasonic.

Like a fool I believed this problem was fixed and have just bought one of these. Mine has serial number 3 as the 6th digit so in theory it shouldn't need the firmware reflash but the battery warning light comes on in video mode after only about 30 seconds of filming and then it shuts down. Not happy, think I will return it as not fit for purpose.
Why are Canon selling a camera that doesn't work as advertised!
Announcements