cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

The camera has already been discontinued, there is no other practical solution that carry several spare batteries. 

That is all, sorry.

If the tape on the center pin of the battery works, I wish Canon would release a firmware that ignored the battery level when recording video. I'd be more than happy to keep track of the time I record video and change the battery when needed. That way I would still have battery level when shooting pictures or when turning on the camera to see the state of the battery.

Come on, Canon. Win back some customers by releasing a firmware that does this.

Forget it fellows.
This camera has already been forgotten, Amazon does not sell it anymore even at a huge discount.

Hi! I'm a beginner and I'd like to ask you guys some things.

I was considering buying a SX270, but now I'm skeptical about it.
As crazy as it may sound I would need just taking photos, and not so much videos.

However, I wouldn't like to have issues like battery runing low sign on the camera or like the camera shutting down.
I read that turning the camera off and on again sometimes helps. Still it doesn't sound that nice.

I saw that Mylze found that a SanDisk Extreme Plus SDHC UHS-I memory card would increase battery life.

My questions are as follows:
(1) If I use sx270+a fast memory card (up to 80MB/s)  just for stills, will I get a reasonable battery lifetime?

(2) What serial number would ensure the Firmware 1.0.2.0?

(3) Does anyone know if Canon Powershot SX 510 HS has the same battery problems?
Thx

If you just want it for pictures it is fine.

Just have a spare battery at hand.

Good luck!

Announcements