cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX 50 HD turns off after shot is taken

colecuts
Apprentice

Have been using my SX 50 HS for about 8 months with no problems. Today, after I take a shot, the camera turns off completely.  Not the display, the actual camera.  I have changed batteries to confirm that it is not battery related.  This is agonizing to have to restart the camera each time I want to take shots.  Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestion on what I should do to fix it?  Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

colecuts
Apprentice

All, following up. I did send the camera to Canon and they are replacing it.  Just want to acknowledge that the person who advised me to go to them (Richard) and note that Canon service was fast. I sent the camera on Saturday and got their response today (Tuesday).  Impressed with the speed of service and looking forward to the new camera.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Colecuts,

Thank you for posting.

If your camera is turning itself off after each shot and changing the battery hasn't resolved this issue, unfortunately, your camera will require service.

You may set up the repair of your camera at this site: https://www.usa.canon.com/repair.

Once on our site, click on "Request Product Repair". On the next page, you may create an account or log into your existing account. These options make it easier to request the repair of more than one product. You may also choose the "Continue" button to "Continue without an Account".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

John_
Authority

I have 2 SX50 HS cameras almost 2 years old and neither have done that unless the battery was shot.

I'd do as the getleman from Canon said and begin a repair procees under warranty too.

There is a real slim chance both your batteries are shot or the charger is faulty and not charging them correctly yet indicates it has.

If you have the external power supply that would tell you for sure if it is the batteries.

Either way contact Canon also see if you can send the battery and charger too so they can test it all together.

colecuts
Apprentice

All, following up. I did send the camera to Canon and they are replacing it.  Just want to acknowledge that the person who advised me to go to them (Richard) and note that Canon service was fast. I sent the camera on Saturday and got their response today (Tuesday).  Impressed with the speed of service and looking forward to the new camera.

Announcements