cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX 420 IS Is There a Remote Capture Utility Via USB To Control Camera?

movieposterbid
Apprentice

Hi Folks. New to the forum. I've used a Canon G10 for 12 years for photographing old movie posters for my business

I've accomplished this by a stationary camera mounting and controlling the camera via USB using the RemoteCapture DC program

after installation of the software for this camera, there is no remote control software, and the RemoteCapture DC program does not run with the SX420

I do know about the telephone app, but it's not the type of use that I need.

can anyone help me out with an answer?

thanks

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thanks for the reply. I solved my issue by returning the camera.

I'm a rare user who doesn't do much hand held photography. My G10 has sat on a stationary wall-mounted tripod mount and controlled by a computer via the usb cable to perform the action (I sell movie posters and only use the camera for flat photography). I wrote canon recently to let them know my shutter count on my G10 bought back in 2009 when the camera was first released as 130,000+ photos and I have added to that since.

my need for another camera was so that I could shoot at 2 locations without having to travel the camera between locations.

I ultimately resolved my issue by buying another G10 nearly-new in box on ebay, with only a 2000 shot shutter count.

I know this may surprise you, but I find the 15megapixel  CCD capture device to take crisper photos of posters with text that my friend's 20megapixel EOS with a CMOS element. Yes, it surprised me also.

I can add to anyone reading. the G10 has been a workhorse in my business, having supplied me flawlessly with top notch photos for 12 years and I sure hope that it works for me for another 12, along with my repleacement camera, which is at this moment, doing second duty

I hope that Canon will revisit the CCD capture device in future cameras.

thanks for your help

Rich

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Rich,

I'm not too familiar with these models, but usually the G series will have mroe advanced features like that which are typically left out of the Elph or SX series. If the camera has WiFi you may be able to use your phoen as a remote control as you indicated, it may be best to have someone walk you through it over the phone. The Powershot department is open Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 7:00pm EST at (800)652-2666.

thanks for the reply. I solved my issue by returning the camera.

I'm a rare user who doesn't do much hand held photography. My G10 has sat on a stationary wall-mounted tripod mount and controlled by a computer via the usb cable to perform the action (I sell movie posters and only use the camera for flat photography). I wrote canon recently to let them know my shutter count on my G10 bought back in 2009 when the camera was first released as 130,000+ photos and I have added to that since.

my need for another camera was so that I could shoot at 2 locations without having to travel the camera between locations.

I ultimately resolved my issue by buying another G10 nearly-new in box on ebay, with only a 2000 shot shutter count.

I know this may surprise you, but I find the 15megapixel  CCD capture device to take crisper photos of posters with text that my friend's 20megapixel EOS with a CMOS element. Yes, it surprised me also.

I can add to anyone reading. the G10 has been a workhorse in my business, having supplied me flawlessly with top notch photos for 12 years and I sure hope that it works for me for another 12, along with my repleacement camera, which is at this moment, doing second duty

I hope that Canon will revisit the CCD capture device in future cameras.

thanks for your help

Rich

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements