Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

[SOLVED} Canon SX50HS maximum number of files on an SD card?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a 64GB SD-HC card in my SX50HS and after 5 years of shooting it's starting reach its capacity. I regularly download and backup my pictures after every session, but I like to keep the original pics on the card.

Obviously a 64GB card cannot hold more that 64GB-ish in data, so I'm looking at a 128GB card to replace it (I'll copy all of the current folder and photos onto the new card).

BUT...

Is there a limit to the number of files that the camera will allow on a single card? Currently I have about 7200 files on the card (photos and videos).

I read somewhere that there's a maximum limit of 9999 files per SD card (regardless of the capacity of the card).

Is this is the case, then there's not really any point in me upgrading to a 128GB card.

Could anyone please confirm whether this is the case and if so, would there be any workarounds (format Ex-FAT, etc)?

Cheers,

Mike.

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon SX50HS maximum number of files on an SD card?

Not sure where you read that but in your manual, on page 275 it blows that away. For instance, you can have 165,225 photos or files on a 32G card using the Small format, less of course with larger format pictures but there is no max file limit of 9999/card

New Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying that - I guess I should've RTFM first :-)

128GB SDHC card it is then!

Cheers,

Mike.

Respected Contributor

lol yes rtfm!

VIP

Re: [SOLVED} Canon SX50HS maximum number of files on an SD card?

Actually, there is a limit of 9999 files. That is the limit of how many files can go in one folder. You would need to create new folders to store more files.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: [SOLVED] Canon SX50HS maximum number of files on an SD card?

Hi,

Yep, I think that's fine. I have my camera set up to create a new folder each month.

Cheers,

Mike.

Respected Contributor

I could not find that max file limit figure anywhere? However, it is reallly not a concern for me as I never put anything close to that on a card it is too risky.

VIP

@John_ wrote:

I could not find that max file limit figure anywhere? However, it is reallly not a concern for me as I never put anything close to that on a card it is too risky.

The automatic file naming convention will limit you to 9999 files, not unless you change how files are named before you hit 9999.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor

Yes, I just found it in the file numbering section!