cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED} Canon SX50HS maximum number of files on an SD card?

mingle
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a 64GB SD-HC card in my SX50HS and after 5 years of shooting it's starting reach its capacity. I regularly download and backup my pictures after every session, but I like to keep the original pics on the card.

Obviously a 64GB card cannot hold more that 64GB-ish in data, so I'm looking at a 128GB card to replace it (I'll copy all of the current folder and photos onto the new card).

BUT...

Is there a limit to the number of files that the camera will allow on a single card? Currently I have about 7200 files on the card (photos and videos).

I read somewhere that there's a maximum limit of 9999 files per SD card (regardless of the capacity of the card).

Is this is the case, then there's not really any point in me upgrading to a 128GB card.

Could anyone please confirm whether this is the case and if so, would there be any workarounds (format Ex-FAT, etc)?

Cheers,

Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

Not sure where you read that but in your manual, on page 275 it blows that away. For instance, you can have 165,225 photos or files on a 32G card using the Small format, less of course with larger format pictures but there is no max file limit of 9999/card

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

Not sure where you read that but in your manual, on page 275 it blows that away. For instance, you can have 165,225 photos or files on a 32G card using the Small format, less of course with larger format pictures but there is no max file limit of 9999/card

Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying that - I guess I should've RTFM first 🙂

128GB SDHC card it is then!

Cheers,

Mike.

lol yes rtfm!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Actually, there is a limit of 9999 files. That is the limit of how many files can go in one folder. You would need to create new folders to store more files.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

Yep, I think that's fine. I have my camera set up to create a new folder each month.

Cheers,

Mike.

I could not find that max file limit figure anywhere? However, it is reallly not a concern for me as I never put anything close to that on a card it is too risky.

@John_ wrote:

I could not find that max file limit figure anywhere? However, it is reallly not a concern for me as I never put anything close to that on a card it is too risky.

The automatic file naming convention will limit you to 9999 files, not unless you change how files are named before you hit 9999.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I just found it in the file numbering section!

Announcements