cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card

REMoon
Apprentice

I have a 64 GB card in my camera, which now contains all of the images from my recent vacation. Unfortunately my computer will not recognize the card, either inside the camera or on a SD card adapter. This happens regularly and is fixable by deleting old images on the camera manually to reduce the amount of stored material on the card. I have erased all of the old images but this time there are too many new ones, exceeding some limit. I know the images are there, as I can toggle them on the camera. How can I download these onto my computer?

6 REPLIES 6

smack53
Mentor

REMoon,

What operating system are you using on your computer?  Could be an issue with the software drivers if it's an older version.

Steve M.

Thanks for replying. My computer O/S is Win7. The curious thing is that provide I don't have too many pictures on the card it reads just fine, but when the number of pictures exceeds some limit, I cannot access the card.

REMoon
Apprentice
Thanks for replying. My computer O/S is Win7.

There is an apparent issue with Windows 7 and it's ability to correctly report SD card sizes over 32GB. There is a technical bulletin at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976422 that covers the issue in better detail. There is a hotfix that has been worked on, but it looks like you may need some technical support to ensure the hotfix will work on your computer. Since I only use up to 32GB SD cards, I had not run into this issue before. Microsoft is allowing users of Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free for a limited time, if you want to take that route. I would just make sure you have the latest service pack for Windows 7 installed on your computer, and then if it doesn't work, talk to a Microsoft person.

Good luck.

Steve M.

I have just purchased a new SD card adaptor and rebooted the computer with it attached. Thanksfully, this solved the problem! Many thanks for your input.

Happy to hear that worked for you! I'll keep that in mind if I ever go to 64GB.

Steve M.

Announcements