cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S120 where is the panorama mode (disappointed user) ??

mrtcanon
Apprentice

Double frustration:

1: My powershot S100 just started to have problems (locked with lenses that cannot retract)...

2: Just bought the S120 for replacement.... A number of wonderful features, but the panarama mode is no longer available...

why ????

Is there an alternative ???

Any advice welcome,

mrtcanaon

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

smack53
Mentor

You can still take multiple shots with the S120 and use software to stitch a panorama shot together. Just be sure to overlap about 1/3 of the shot and you should get very nice results. Since you probably have the Canon Photo stitch software, you just need to look for the jpeg files to stitch together.

I do this with my Canon SX150is which does not have a panorama mode, and the same for the G12 that I own. I get very satisfactory results. Here's a link to one of my shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/smack53/10344584946/in/album-72157636683571065/. This shot was done using the Photo Stitch software and taking 7 overlapping shots. There is no panorama mode on this camera, but that won't stop you from getting some wonderful "wide" shots.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

Many thanks smack53.

I'll do as you suggest. However I thought that the panorama mode not only provided an easy way to manage the overlap, but it also maintained the same settings ( aperture, speed, focus) for all the shots of the panorama. Without this feature I suppose we may  have different level of light/brightness  which will show in the seam area ?

Am I right? 

Is there a way to force the camera to keep the settings for several pictures?

Regards,

mrtcanon

The best way to overcome the possible setting changes is to use the Manual mode. If you're not comfortable doing that, then using Auto Mode, first take a shot of the area that will be in the center (middle) of the panorama, then check what settings the camera used. Then switch to Manual mode and use those settings for all the shots.

Incidentally, the stitch mode in the older cameras did not actually hold the settings for each shot. That was mostly resolved in the software when they were stitched together. The primary purpose was to assist in the framing of the shots.

Steve M.

Here's a photo stitching software that I use with excellent results and it i free to try it. It will compensate for variations in exposure, size etc' too. It works on video files also. The full version isn't that expensive either.

Its called PanoramaPlus X4 the free-bee is the starter edition

5 REPLIES 5

smack53
Mentor

You can still take multiple shots with the S120 and use software to stitch a panorama shot together. Just be sure to overlap about 1/3 of the shot and you should get very nice results. Since you probably have the Canon Photo stitch software, you just need to look for the jpeg files to stitch together.

I do this with my Canon SX150is which does not have a panorama mode, and the same for the G12 that I own. I get very satisfactory results. Here's a link to one of my shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/smack53/10344584946/in/album-72157636683571065/. This shot was done using the Photo Stitch software and taking 7 overlapping shots. There is no panorama mode on this camera, but that won't stop you from getting some wonderful "wide" shots.

Steve M.

Many thanks smack53.

I'll do as you suggest. However I thought that the panorama mode not only provided an easy way to manage the overlap, but it also maintained the same settings ( aperture, speed, focus) for all the shots of the panorama. Without this feature I suppose we may  have different level of light/brightness  which will show in the seam area ?

Am I right? 

Is there a way to force the camera to keep the settings for several pictures?

Regards,

mrtcanon

The best way to overcome the possible setting changes is to use the Manual mode. If you're not comfortable doing that, then using Auto Mode, first take a shot of the area that will be in the center (middle) of the panorama, then check what settings the camera used. Then switch to Manual mode and use those settings for all the shots.

Incidentally, the stitch mode in the older cameras did not actually hold the settings for each shot. That was mostly resolved in the software when they were stitched together. The primary purpose was to assist in the framing of the shots.

Steve M.

Here's a photo stitching software that I use with excellent results and it i free to try it. It will compensate for variations in exposure, size etc' too. It works on video files also. The full version isn't that expensive either.

Its called PanoramaPlus X4 the free-bee is the starter edition

Thanks for the suggestion.
Announcements