cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S110 does not see Camera Window via wireless (OSX)

signal
Apprentice

I have a Canon S110, OSX 10.8.5 (mountain lion) as well as OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks (two different computers).

I do not have the OSX firewall enabled or any security software.

I connect my computer to the wireless network, and then connect the camera to the same network.  Both connect fine.  The camera how ever never finds Camera Window.  I tried to manually open Camera Window but it immediately says "No camera was found".

I have tried Camera Window 8.9.1 (because that is what the Canon documentation says is validated against 10.9), and I have also tried verison 8.10.1.15.  Camera works fine with Smartphone (iphone) connected to same network using IOS Camera Window.

I have attached the camera first via USB to each computer to do the initial setup and sync the SSL certificate.  The camera is firmware version 1.0.2.0 which is the latest.

So with two versions of Camera Window, and two versions of OSX, I cannot get it to see my camera over wireless.

Can anyone direct me to what may be going wrong?

Thanks,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nedkelly
Contributor

Did you install Camera Window from the CD or from the website?

If from the CD go into Applications, Canon Utilities, CameraWindow, Wireless and then run WirelessCameraService and then try again to see if the computer is detected.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

nedkelly
Contributor

Did you install Camera Window from the CD or from the website?

If from the CD go into Applications, Canon Utilities, CameraWindow, Wireless and then run WirelessCameraService and then try again to see if the computer is detected.

I installed it from the website, downloading the latest DMG file for OSX Mavericks.  I also downloaded an older version of CameraWindow 8.9.1 from the website and tried both on both computers.

Inside the Applications -> Canon Utilities there is no Wirless folder in there or inside a CameraWindow folder.

Are you saying there is a service that runs on OSX that is only included in the CD? That doesn't totally make sense (to only include it on the CD).

That's the issue, the website version is just the standard camerawindow where the one on the cd is the one for wireless cameras, I don't know why Canon does not make it downloadable. So I recommend installing from the CD and then update to latest version and try again.

Hopefully Canon can include the wireless service in the DMG download for CameraWindow for OSX.  My wife and I use Macbook Air's and they have no CD-ROM drive. So I will have to wait until I am back home to plug in my external superdrive to install the media from CDROM.  Usually I just install from the web since what is on the cdrom is typically outdated.

I will report back if installing from CDROM installs the wireless service and gets me working.

If anyone from Canon knows where I can download the wireless service for OSX that CameraWindow uses please let me know.

Brian

Just an update.  I indeed had to install from the CD, as only the CD contains the Wireless Camera Service.  Canon should make this available online as well, ideally part of the DMG.

I am using CameraWindow 8.9.1 as it is the only one that Canon lists as supported with Mavericks at this time.

Thanks for all the help!

I know heaps of people hate it, sorry there was no other way.
Glad that I could help you any way.

Go into the software downloads for other cameras such as ELPH, some of them have more updated software.  

I was having issues with my S110 connecting with my Mac Air 10.7.5 OSX.  CameraWindow 8.10.2a didn't work which was listed on the download page and after searching forums I found a more recent version 8.10.2b under an ELPH camera.  

I downloaded that and my camera connected perfectly.  

This was after several emails to Canon where the only response I received was download the whole suite of applications, that should fix your problem.

Announcements