cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the ISO limitation on the powershot cameras with the new CMOS sensor

Kneedless
Apprentice

I like to take profesional looking photos and have full control of my camera, I like to use a powerhsot as it's compact, light and not too pricey incase something bad happens to it as I take it into some pretty risky sitations.

I have a PowerShot sx700 and have had no problems with this camera except that I encountered an ISO limitation to ISO100 when I set the shutter speed  to times longer than 1sec. I like to take long exposure photos at night of times up to 15 or 30 seconds and somtimes they require a very high ISO. There is no CHDK firmware avaliable for this camera yet, otherwise I'de be more then happy to void my warranty to install that firmware to get a fully functional camera.

Who here agrees that canon should update its firmaware to remove this limitation in manual mode? and if it's not too much to ask; extened maximum shutter speed time to 30 seconds.

8 REPLIES 8

hsbn
Whiz
IMHO, I don't think Canon will change it. They rarely release new firmware to unlock features especially on PS camera. I understand your frustration but you have to take into account that the image quality will be really horrible with long exposure + high ISO with small sensor PS camera. I think that's why Canon restrict the ISO to 100 to minimize the noise. They'd rather don't let you take the photo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The sx 700 has a back illuminated CMOS sensor, which catches 30% more photons then just a regualr CMOS sensor, in theroy they should perform 30% better in low light then the old sensors, but these ISO limitations were not on the old CMOS sensors. I have taken 15 second photos with the camera on ISO 100 and there is very low noise, there is a little more noise with ISO 3200 with a 1 sec shutter, I beleive that I could push the ISO to 800 with a 15 sec shutter and get a photo that I am happy with without too much noise.

I just did a test with a camera that has more noise than mine when set to ISO 800 and has no ISO limit, The image that came from it when using a long shutter speed was quite acceptable.

That's good to hear. But unfortunately, don't get your hope up. You may want to drop them an email, maybe (big maybe) they can do something.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I'll say with near certainty that Canon will not release a firmware update to address this.  Aside from their top-of-the-line dSLR like the 1dX and 5d3, they rarely release firmware to add features, only fix programming errors.  I don't pay too much attention to point and shoot updates, but even on the Rebel series dSLR they rarely fix anything because they simply release a new version every year and expect people to just upgrade if they're unhappy with their current model.

@Skirball wrote:

I'll say with near certainty that Canon will not release a firmware update to address this.  Aside from their top-of-the-line dSLR like the 1dX and 5d3, they rarely release firmware to add features, only fix programming errors.  I don't pay too much attention to point and shoot updates, but even on the Rebel series dSLR they rarely fix anything because they simply release a new version every year and expect people to just upgrade if they're unhappy with their current model.

They added some new features and enhancements to the 7D a couple of years ago. They bragged about it a bit more than the changes justified, but they did add one really useful feature: the ability to control the names given to the image files. So when you do a photo shoot with two or more cameras, it's easier to tell which camera took which image when you start editing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Kneedless
Apprentice
I'll guess I'll have to wait for CHDK then and never buy another cannon point and shoot until they remove their limitations

Even some entry level DSLR's and high end point and shoot cameras have limitations on them as the cameras become more "user friendly". Very frustrating indeed since I like complete control as well, but unfortunately a lot of the new generation of photographers want quick results that can be handled in camera with an app and not use up their time to post process, so it looks like the majority rules.

Steve M.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements