cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished SX530HS dropped and hitting Lens Error

caughtoncordand
Apprentice

A small broken piece of plastic is visible if you look at the camera lens. As the camera is two years old it's past warranty and the cost of sending it in for repair will nearly match replacing it. Does any easy method exist for getting at the plastic that is under the first layer of glass? ( I assume a decent % chance exists that the camera won't function even if it was removed as the plastic likely served a purpose in the movement of the lens)

Additionally, am I better off using a lens cap that isn't on a cord or is on a cord of a diffrent material than the stock? The two times my camera has dropped  over the last two years have both been the cord getting caught on something and that causing the camera to get pulled from my grip. It'd be less of a loss if the cord holding the lens cap broke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Those lens assemblies are put together like a Gordian Knot.  You might be able to fix it yourself if you have 4 arms and hands. I think your camera has reached the end of its' functional life.  I never use those lens caps on a string things.  I would stop using them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Those lens assemblies are put together like a Gordian Knot.  You might be able to fix it yourself if you have 4 arms and hands. I think your camera has reached the end of its' functional life.  I never use those lens caps on a string things.  I would stop using them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements