cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend PowerShot camera for mom

MLCarter1976
Contributor

I am looking to get a PowerShot camera for my mom, about 100 bucks.

Requirements:

• AA Battery's (or non standard battery's you buy in the store)
  • Large LCD viewing screen.
  • SD memory card.
  • Simple usage

I want to have AA battery's as I do NOT think that she would remember to buy another battery.  I can / will buy a canon battery for her, but I am trying to think of the REALITY of the situation, she will probably forget it, etc.

I was looking at the one below, and it seemed to be nice, and around 100 bucks.  I am open to suggestions / recommendations, etc.!  Just saw this and seemed nice.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Digital Camera (Silver)

Her camera style  "ok everyone, get together....closer...come on...like you love each other...perfect"  click!  That's it.

She just loves to capture the moment.  Yes, a camera phone would work for her, but NO smartphone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

MLCarter1976,

The ELPH camera you are suggesting is an excellent camera choice for capturing the moment. However, you mentioned that you want AA batteries, and the ELPH line of cameras use rechargeable lithium battery packs. The Canon PowerShot A1400 uses AA batteries, and costs about $84.00 from B&H. There are not many Canon cameras that use AA batteries anymore, even under $100.00. The LCD screen is a little smaller than the ELPH screen since the A1400 includes a viewfinder. The picture quality is also not quite as nice as the ELPH series, but under most normal conditions the photos will be fine. Low light will require using the flash.

If you do go with a camera that uses AA batteries, I would strongly recommend getting some top line rechargeable NiMH batteries or better since these cameras will go through even the expensive AA batteries rather quickly. One other thing is that all Canon cameras do not come with built in memory, so you will need to purchase an SD memory card.

Good luck on the camera search.

Smack53

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

MLCarter1976,

The ELPH camera you are suggesting is an excellent camera choice for capturing the moment. However, you mentioned that you want AA batteries, and the ELPH line of cameras use rechargeable lithium battery packs. The Canon PowerShot A1400 uses AA batteries, and costs about $84.00 from B&H. There are not many Canon cameras that use AA batteries anymore, even under $100.00. The LCD screen is a little smaller than the ELPH screen since the A1400 includes a viewfinder. The picture quality is also not quite as nice as the ELPH series, but under most normal conditions the photos will be fine. Low light will require using the flash.

If you do go with a camera that uses AA batteries, I would strongly recommend getting some top line rechargeable NiMH batteries or better since these cameras will go through even the expensive AA batteries rather quickly. One other thing is that all Canon cameras do not come with built in memory, so you will need to purchase an SD memory card.

Good luck on the camera search.

Smack53

Thank you for your reply, I will go with the ELPH and with your comment about many not camera's going with AA batteries anymore, it seems that I should go with their battery pack and have her get the extra battery and a charger.  Probably not a very expensive investment after the camera has been paid for.

Thank you for your suggestion and assistance!
Matt

Announcements