cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading jpegs and Samsung on Canon 700

Harolnick
Contributor

When I lost my PowerShot 70 in Turkey last week, it gave me the opportunity to upgrade to an SX700. While losing  shots itaken in  Turkey, I assumed I could transfer my favorite old photos (on my computer) to my new camera. Since they included pix in North Korea, Peru, Morocco etc, they were priceless for showing off. 

Here is the problem. The shots titled "Img_...." can be transferered, through my card-reader  to my  new memory card from my card-reader, and can be read on the camera. While I rarely use my Ipod for pictures, half the pictures on my computer say "Ipodimage". Those with the "Impodimage" (or a few Samsung taken by a friend) can be transferred to my memory card----but the Canon700 doesn't show them at all.

(I have no idea why older versions of Canon Powershot show "Ipodimage", but now am looking for a practical solution rather than a cause.)

I formatted the memory card when I first bought the camera (three days ago), and since the pictures I have now on the memory card are also in the computer, I can fool around and format or reset again.

Sorry for the complexity. But is there any program to convert  "alien" formats to a Canon format which can be read?

Many thanks, as always.

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Harolnick!

Thanks for posting.

1. Are the images in question all in the JPEG format?
  2. How were they originally transferred to your computer?
  3. What program did you use to open those images up when you transferred them?
  4. What folder are you putting the images in when you move them back to the memory card?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@inactive010823 wrote:

Hi Harolnick!

Oh, I didn't see reply, so sent this on another form. Here are your answers: 

1. Are the images in question all in the JPEG format?

No. Those listed as (for example) "Img_6742" can be transferred to the Memory Card and read on the camera. Those which have been retitled (for example) "Dog 2" can be transferred but not read. While I rarely use my Ipod for pictures, many of the pictures are strangely titled "Ipodimage..." and can be transferred but not read.

2. How were they originally transferred to your computer?

Originally from Canon camera to computer. Lately, I found it more efficient for Memory Card in my Card-Reader into the computer, and then copyiing the picutres, to the sub-file "My Documents/My pictures." 

What program did you use to open those images up when you transferred them?

When I used Memory-Card to computer, I used Canon's own program, ImageBrowser EX.. With the Card-reader it goes into My Documents/My pictures

4. What folder are you putting the images in when you move them back to the memory carrd

I have tried all (including the root folder, then DCIM), but the only one which carries pix that are read is the subdirectory of DCIM called :"100Canon"

5. If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Not time-sensitive at all. For showing off purposes (i.e. ego as a travel writer), I'd love to have my pix of North Korea, Guatemala, Peru, India etc on my  beautiful Canon 700. But if it can't be done, I can survive.

Many thanks

Tim
Authority
Hello Harolnick, We can certainly understand where it would be helpful to have the camera read other formats. Unfortunately though there is no process by which you can convert those other files to have the camera read them. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I can undersstand why you wouldn't want "alien non-Canon" formats on Canon. But to simply re-title the pictures--from a boring :"img_..." to "MadDog..." --and not being able to read them, seems a bit extravagant. 

At any rate, I hope that in your future manuals, you warn users not to re-name or change in any way original pictures.

Harry Rolnick

Announcements