cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding image transfers to a computer via a USB cable on a Powershot G5X

Vanon66
Enthusiast

Hello Everyone.

I am working on setting up my Powershot G5X and have questions about transfering images to a computer via a USB cable.

I am using Windows 10 and know how to do transfers via the way this system is set up, but I was curious if there is a way to do transfers via the Canon Utilitiy software like I am used to doing with my t5i. I was told that only the EOS cameras are able to utilize this method, but I have been using this software do upload images from a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot so I naturally assumed that it would work with my G5X as well, but it won't.

It is cumbersome to go through the steps to transfer images via the Windows 10 set up so if anyone has a way to do this outside of that please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Vanon66,

Thanks for posting.

You may use ImageBrowser EX for any compatible (JPEG) images on your computer, regardless of the source. ImageBrowser EX does not have a built-in function to transfer images from your camera, so if you haven't already done so, please download and install the software (Digital Camera Software 6.0 [Windows]) for your camera. You may access this software by clicking here.

When connecting your camera to your computer, we recommend the following:

• If your computer is a desktop unit, we recommend selecting a USB terminal on the back of your computer. These terminals normally have a better signal and more power than USB terminals on the front of your computer.
  • If your computer is a laptop, please ensure that it's running on A.C. (household) power.
  • When connecting your computer, we recommend against the use of a USB hub. We recommend connecting your camera's USB cable directly to your computer.

When your camera is connected, as described above, please turn it on, using the Playback button on the back of the camera. (The playback mode is also the camera's computer connection mode.)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Vanon66 wrote:

Hello Everyone.

I am working on setting up my Powershot G5X and have questions about transfering images to a computer via a USB cable.

I am using Windows 10 and know how to do transfers via the way this system is set up, but I was curious if there is a way to do transfers via the Canon Utilitiy software like I am used to doing with my t5i. I was told that only the EOS cameras are able to utilize this method, but I have been using this software do upload images from a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot so I naturally assumed that it would work with my G5X as well, but it won't.

It is cumbersome to go through the steps to transfer images via the Windows 10 set up so if anyone has a way to do this outside of that please let me know.

Buy a USB memory card reader.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizle and thanks for your response.

I already have a usb memory card reader, but I wasn't wanting to go that route.  I use my memory cards as additional backup for my photo/video files so when you take the memory card out of the camera and load them into the computer this way, you have to format the card when you put it back into the camera and then it erases the images that were on it, at least that is what I am led to believe as this is what I have to do with my EOS t5i.

I was just hoping that there was a program available that would allow me to do this simply such as the Canon Utilities program.  It is disappointing that this will not work in conjunction with the Powershot cameras as I have discovered, unless there is a way to make it work which I was also hoping that someone knew.  As I mentioned, I find it odd that this Canon Utility program to upload photos/videos will work with my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot, but not with the Canon G5x.

@Vanon66 wrote:

Hi Waddizle and thanks for your response.

I already have a usb memory card reader, but I wasn't wanting to go that route.  I use my memory cards as additional backup for my photo/video files so when you take the memory card out of the camera and load them into the computer this way, you have to format the card when you put it back into the camera and then it erases the images that were on it, at least that is what I am led to believe as this is what I have to do with my EOS t5i.

I was just hoping that there was a program available that would allow me to do this simply such as the Canon Utilities program.  It is disappointing that this will not work in conjunction with the Powershot cameras as I have discovered, unless there is a way to make it work which I was also hoping that someone knew.  As I mentioned, I find it odd that this Canon Utility program to upload photos/videos will work with my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot, but not with the Canon G5x.

You are mistaken about having to reformat the memory cards when you put it back into the camera.  The memory card only needs to be formatted the first time it is used, AND the formatting should be done in the camera, not by your computer.

G5X_IM_Page_177.PNG

There is an available program to transfer image files via USB.  Check that your USB cable is a data cable, and not a USB power cable for charging devices.  Consult the Instruction Manual for additional details on transfering images via USB.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks again for the feedback Waddizzle.

All I know is that with my Canon EOS T5i, if you take the memory card out and then put it back in you are required by the camera to format and this erases all the images on it and starts over. While I have never proved that, that is at least what the manual states. However, in this case, I don't take them out anyway as I transfer my images to my computer daily when being used via a usb cable.

I always format the memory cards inside my camera.

The usb cable I am using with my new G5x is the correct data cable from Canon which I also verified yesterday with them on the phone.

I have read through the manual and the page you have shown here. However, I am not understanding why ImageBrowser EX will not work with the G5x because it will work with my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. I understand how to transfer images to my computer via the shown method in the manual and have used this with other cameras, but I was just hoping that I could continue to use ImageBrowser EX with my G5x.

Hi Vanon66,

Thanks for posting.

You may use ImageBrowser EX for any compatible (JPEG) images on your computer, regardless of the source. ImageBrowser EX does not have a built-in function to transfer images from your camera, so if you haven't already done so, please download and install the software (Digital Camera Software 6.0 [Windows]) for your camera. You may access this software by clicking here.

• If your computer is a desktop unit, we recommend selecting a USB terminal on the back of your computer. These terminals normally have a better signal and more power than USB terminals on the front of your computer.
  • If your computer is a laptop, please ensure that it's running on A.C. (household) power.
  • When connecting your computer, we recommend against the use of a USB hub. We recommend connecting your camera's USB cable directly to your computer.

When your camera is connected, as described above, please turn it on, using the Playback button on the back of the camera. (The playback mode is also the camera's computer connection mode.)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Richard wrote:

Hi Vanon66,

Thanks for posting.

Hello Richard,

Thanks for responding and all the information.  

I did speak with a customer service rep this morning and he got me all set up and here is what has transpired, for your benefit as well as others.

I was told that ImageBrowser EX is no longer a supported program.  So to get me up and running, the Canon rep had me install the very software program that you suggested here which is somehow separate from Image Browser EX, I am assuming, and is referred to as "Camera Window."  This program transfers the images to a file in computers that you are able to select via the preferenes tab and then gives you the option to open either Image Browser EX or Photo Professional 4 to edit the images once the images are loaded into your computer.

He did tell me that Windows 10 does have an issue recognizing the playback coming from the cameras and doesn't always open up automatically when you touch the playback button on the camera so, in those cases, you have to open up the Camera Wiindow software manually, which is what I have had to do already several times.

Thankfully, I am not set up and running so kudos to all of you at Canon. 

@Vanon66 wrote:

Thanks again for the feedback Waddizzle.

All I know is that with my Canon EOS T5i, if you take the memory card out and then put it back in you are required by the camera to format and this erases all the images on it and starts over. While I have never proved that, that is at least what the manual states. However, in this case, I don't take them out anyway as I transfer my images to my computer daily when being used via a usb cable.

This is not true.You can remove and insert the card as many times as you want without formatting the card. In fact, you are never required to format the card.

Announcements