cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with video recording

thatlpsgirl
Apprentice

I am very infuriated based on what happened today. While my cousin and I were recording some video scenes for some funny video we were making, the camera suddenly stops recording videos. Why does it do this? I currently own a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS camera containing an 8 gigabyte SD card. Once this camera stops recording, it does not say anything that the memory is full. It doesn't let me record anything. WHY?

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

Check that the speed of the SD card is speed class 6 or higher. How long were you recording, and in what resolution? According to the user manual, an 8GB card records for 1/2 hour approximately in full HD mode. By going to a lesser quality video, you will increase the time to about 45 minutes in HD, and about 1 1/2 hours in VGA. Is your display set to show the remaining record time? This should display across the top of the screen and be doing a countdown as you record. If it's not showing, you will need to check your camera settings to make sure it's on. Sounds like you maxed out your card, so would a videocam be better for you? The SX510 HS is made primarily for shooting photos, and as a "bonus", it has a video mode for getting short clips. You may just need to carry a few spare memory cards when you do the videos to avoid missing video moments.

Since I don't own the SX510, maybe someone in the community has some other ideas how to get around the time limits to your satisfaction.

We weren't really sure for how long we were recording, but they were quite long. I actually DELETED the video scenes that we had recorded AFTER I had transferred them to my computer to use in the video editor. I am not really sure when we are going to finish the movie, but I think that now my camera is "allowing" me to record videos.

So basically, you filled up the memory card. HD video uses up the available space rather quickly, so I would suggest you get a larger memory card, such as a 32GB. Once the memory card is full, the camera will stop recording, so a larger capacity card will get you the longer run times. But keep an eye on the remaining time so you won't get caught short of memory when you need it most, and have a few memory cards on hand to change as needed.

Announcements