cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with depth of field

beantowner2
Contributor

I have a Canon PowerShot G12 and haven’t been able to vary the depth of field in my photos.  When I set it to aperture priority with a low f stop, the depth of field looks the same as if I use a high f stop.  It also looks the same as if I shoot the picture on Auto.  What’s wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Hi diverhank. I think you have some errors.

Minimize DOF, not maximize. 

Higher the focal length less DOF. 

Thanks. I meant minimize. Dof.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Assuming your Olympus film was 35mm, a full frame DSLR or MILC would be equivalent. Crop sensor DSLR or MILC would also work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

smack53
Mentor

I have the PowerShot G12 camera and I use the 1.4x teleconverter on the barrel adpater to increase the focal length to 196mm (equivelent), and keep the subject as far from the background as possible. I shoot in manual mode with a wide open aperture, but since the sensor is small, the bokeh (blurred background) does not get as creamy smooth as with a larger sensor camera. Attached is a sample of one of the G12 shots I've taken:

Flower Macro_12060.jpg

Steve M.

As far as a teleconverter goes, I am trying to figure out whether this camera is going to work for me before I put any more money into it.  But I have decided to set the mode to Manual and leave it there until I figure out how to use it.  Part of that will be getting used to operating the controls I want to operate without - at the same time - operating several that I don't.  I have trouble with that even with my tiny fingers.

P.S.  Thanks for posting the flower picture.  I see what you mean about the background, but I'll be happy if I can achieve that level of blurryness.

beantowner2
Contributor

Thanks to everyone who replied.  All of your posts were helpful.  I am trying to figure out whether I can tag them all as the solution.

Announcements