Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Problem with Canon G15 -- won't zoom, some controls frozen

Sometimes when I turn the camera on, it acts almost like it is locked. I cannon use the zoom function unless I hold the zoom button down while turning the camera on -- I cannot zoom again unless I turn the camera off then on again. Also in auto mode the camera doesn't adjust to to different lighting conditions making outdoor pictures looked washed out unless I change the dial to P or C1. Finally, the menu and function set buttons are also non responsive. Sometimes the camera will operate normally when turned on. What can be done? I bought the camera 11 months ago and it might still be under warranty. Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm a noob but wasn't able to find anything on Google. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new camera...

Thanks for any ideas

pdi
New Contributor

Re: Problem with Canon G15 -- won't zoom, some controls frozen

I experienced the same problem today - Christmas day - not at all pleased. My camera is only a couple of months old. Any help would be appreciated before I have to return to my place of purchase.

New Contributor

Re: Problem with Canon G15 -- won't zoom, some controls frozen

[ Edited ]

^ No luck fixing with firmware. Sent it in to be fixed and bought a new Nikon.

Apparently according to a worker at the camera store in Santa Barbara, Canon had problems with several G15's and quietly recalled them. Of course when I contacted Canon customer support they'd "never heard of the problem."

I highly doubt I will ever by a Canon product again based on my experience with them.