cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent blurring of moving subjects?

ihd
Apprentice

For a Power Shot A1300, how to force a high shutter speed and prevent blurring of moving subjects? There appears to be no Sport Mode or Shutter Priority.  Is there another Canon Point and Shoot that has this capability?  Use of the flash will help in close situations but not at a distance.

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

You seem to understand the challenge & know the solution re camera function so yes you'll need to buy one with a Tv mode. You're only other alternatives are raising the ISO & perfecting your panning skills but I doubt you'll get what you want with that camera. A DSLR is a much better choice for action for many reasons, one of which is the reduced shutter lag. If a DSLR is too expensive check the reviews that might fit your budget here knowing that you need more control.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Also, I think there is only so much you can do with flash even close up, because there is a maximum flash sync speed.  Most Canon DSLR's can't use flash at faster shutter than 1/180 or 1/200th.  You can use "high-speed sync" flash, but that is really just a series of weak flashes that are of limited use and range.  I am not sure how fast the P&S cameras can flash sync, but I assume it is not better than the DSLR's.

It helps to get a camera that will handle high ISO settings without unacceptable noise.  The DSLR's are better at this than the P&S cameras because the sensor is larger.  Jacking up the ISO can let you use faster shutter, provided your camera will give a decent image quality at that ISO.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements