cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot g15 58mm adapter barrel length

ghemmie
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently bought a lens pack for my Powershot G15.  The main requirement was the adapter barrel to fit over the existing, non removable lens.

The barrel fits perfectly width wise, and the additional lenses are brilliant.  However, when I extend the zoom on the powershot, the existing lens hits the barrel, forces an error and shuts the camera down.

I have had a look for longer adapter barrels, but there only seems to be 58mm available.

My questions are thus:

1)  Am I not supposed to zoom when using adapter lenses?

2)  Is there anywhere to buy a longer adapter barrel?

3)  Is there some trick I am missing?

4)  Have I just totally wasted my money on this camera and this lens pack?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've never used a forum...bit confused.

Thanks,

Gemma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

The lens should never hit your added lenses ! Do not continue or you will ruin your camera.

Did you buy the Canon brand or an aftermarket brand ?

Which lens attachment(s) are you using ? Do they protude below the top of the lense adapter ?

The correct part number is LA DC58L and below is what Canon says.

The LA-DC58L Conversion Lens Adapter is only compatible with the TC-DC58E Tele-Converter, the MP-14EX Macro Ring Lite and the MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite. Using older conversion lenses is not recommended.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

The lens should never hit your added lenses ! Do not continue or you will ruin your camera.

Did you buy the Canon brand or an aftermarket brand ?

Which lens attachment(s) are you using ? Do they protude below the top of the lense adapter ?

The correct part number is LA DC58L and below is what Canon says.

The LA-DC58L Conversion Lens Adapter is only compatible with the TC-DC58E Tele-Converter, the MP-14EX Macro Ring Lite and the MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite. Using older conversion lenses is not recommended.

smack53
Mentor

To back up what John has noted, the Canon Teleconverter has been designed to have just the right amount of space to allow zooming. When I purchased after market ones, I had to use an extension ring to get the clearance I needed. Basically a 58-52mm coupled to a 52-58mm adapter ring on the teleconverter lens did the trick on my G12. However, I believe the G15 has a larger lens diameter than the G12 so you might have to use different sizes to achieve the same goal. I finally wound up buying the Canon barrel/filter adapter tubes to use the Canon Teleconverter/Wide angle lenses. Luckily I was able to use the after market items on another camera so no loss for me.

One word of warning: if you use the adapters to get more space for the zoom, you might have some vignetting even fully zoomed. That's why I went for the Canon items to eliminate that.

Steve M.

Thank you both so much for the quick response.  I was looking for an official adapter for a while but couldn't find anything, so that part number has been incredibly helpful.  I have now contacted an official supplier.

Gemma

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements