cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX710 HS wi-fi connection problem

RobK
Apprentice

Hi:  I am unable to pair up the camera connection with my computer.  I get to the stage where both the camera wi-fi and the computer (add a device) are searching but the camera disconnects before I can register the camera to the computer.  Any suggestions? Thanks.   Rob

50 REPLIES 50

Danny

Hi, RobK!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (Windows or Mac OS X, and which version). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1

AMD Phenom (tm) X2 545 processor  3.00 hz

64 bit operating system.

Thanks, Rob

Tim
Authority

Hello RobK,

The procedure for using the - function to send images from a camera to a computer is explained in the following four steps. Proceed in order from Step 1.
IMPORTANT
The position and shape of the operation buttons, screens displayed, and setting items may differ depending on the model you use.

Step 1: Preparing necessary items
Step 2: Setting up the computer
Step 3: Connecting the camera to the computer
Step 4: Sending images to the computer

Step 1: Preparing necessary items

Confirm that an access point base unit (- router, etc.) is connected to the computer.

Make sure that the included CameraWindow* software is installed.
*The software is available for download from the Canon website.
NOTE
  • A router is a device that creates a network (LAN) structure for connecting multiple computers. A router that contains an internal - function is called a "- router".
  • This page will refer to all - routers and base stations as "access points".
  • When unsure of your computer setup, refer to the user manual provided with the computer.

Step 2: Setting up the computer (Windows only)

Even if your computer is connected to an access point, sending images from the camera to the computer requires changing the computer`s settings. The procedure is explained below.

Windows 7 users, proceed to 2A: Windows 7

2A: Windows 7

2A-1. In the Start menu, click [All Programs] > [Canon Utilities].

2A-2. Click [CameraWindow] > [- connection setup].

2A-3. A screen similar to the one below will be displayed. Click [Yes].

2A-4. The following screen appears.

This concludes the steps for connecting a computer to a wireless LAN.

Please proceed to Step 3: Connecting the camera to a computer.

• 2B: Windows 8

Step 3: Connecting the camera to the computer

1. Press the <Playback> () button to turn the camera on.

2. Press the <-> () button.

NOTE
When setting up - for the first time, the camera nickname registration screen will be displayed.
This nickname will be displayed on the screen of target devices when connecting to other devices via -.
Press the [ ] button to display the keyboard, and use it to enter a nickname for the camera.
*You can change the device nickname (display name) that is displayed on the camera. To change the nickname, press the [ ] button and use the keyboard displayed to enter a new nickname.

3. Press the [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ] buttons to choose (), and then press the [ ] button.

4. Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose [Add a Device], and then press the [ ] button.

NOTE
Once a computer is added, the computer name will be displayed on the screen in 4. To connect to a computer again, simply choose the computer name from the list.

5. A list of detected access points will be displayed in the [Access Point Connect] screen.
Use the following method to connect with an access point.

5AConnecting to WPS-Compatible Access Points

5BConnecting to Access Points in the List

NOTE
  • WPS makes it easy to complete settings when connecting devices over -. You can use either Push Button Configuration Method or PIN Method for settings on a WPS supported device. The push button configuration method is used in the following explanation.
  • Refer to the user guide provided with your access point to check if it supports WPS.

5AConnecting to WPS-Compatible Access Points.

5A-1. Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose [WPS Connection], and then press the [ ] button.

5A-2. Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose [PBC Method], and then press the [ ] button.

5A-3. On the access point, hold down the WPS connection button for a few seconds. On the camera, press the [ ] button.

• The camera will connect to the access point.
  • A list of computers connected to the access point will appear in the [Select a Device] screen.

5A-4. When a connectible device is found, a screen like the one below will appear.

Touch the name of the computer you want to connect with.

A screen like the one below will appear.

For Windows users, when connecting your camera to your computer wirelessly for the first time, the display will not change during connection.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This response is merely a repeat of the instructions that can be found in the manual. As such it does not address the problem that a vast number of users are having.  The customers must be advised what steps they must take when the instructions in the manual do not work, no point at all in simply repeating the instructions.

Hi, were you able to connect your camera to your computer via WIFi? I'm having the same problem. Tried the same steps and all I get is Device not Found. I was able to connect my Iphone5  without any problems. 

No, I was never able to connect to my pic.

i followed the steps, but no success

no problem with the IPAD

Tim
Authority

RobK,
Part II.

Please proceed to 6. Driver Installation.

5BConnecting to Access Points in the List

5B-1. The access point's password (encryption key / network key) is necessary for connection. To determine the access point password, check on the access point itself or refer to the user manual.
NOTE
  • Password (encryption key / network key)
-The key used when encrypting data during wireless transmission. Also called the "encryption key" or "network key".
5B-2. Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose a network (access point), and then press the [ ] button.

5B-3. Press the [ ] button to access the keyboard, and then enter the encryption key, Choose [Next], and press the [ ] button.

5B-4. Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose [Auto] and press the [ ] button.

5B-5. A list of devices connected to the access point will appear on the screen.
Press the [ ], [ ] buttons to choose the name of the computer you want to connect to, and then press the [ ] button.

A screen like the one below will appear.

6. Driver Installation (Windows Only)

When wirelessly connecting the camera to a computer for the first time, it is necessary to install the drivers using the following procedure (Windows Only).

7. Make sure the below screen appears on the camera`s display.

Windows 7 users: Please proceed to 7A: Windows 7.

7A-1. Windows 7
When the screen in step 7 is shown on the cameras LCD panel, click the computer's Start menu and choose [Control Panel] > [Network and Internet] > [View network computers and devices], and then choose the connected camera from [Other Devices] and then double click the camera icon. Driver installation will begin.

7A-2. After driver installation is complete, and the camera and computer connection is enabled, the AutoPlay screen will be displayed.
Nothing will be displayed on the camera screen.
Click [Download Images From Canon Camera].

Step 4: Sending images to the computer

1. The CameraWindow menu window will be displayed, so click [Import Images from Camera].

2. A window like the one shown below will appear, so click [Import Untransferred Images], [Select Images to Import], or [Import All Images].

3. If you chose [Select Images to Import] in Step 2, select the images you want to import, and then click [Import] ().

4. The following window will appear, and the computer will start to transfer images from the camera.

5. After the images have been imported, the display returns to the screen shown in step 1. When you are finished importing, click [ ] to close the screen.
NOTE
  • CameraWindow default settings will save images to the Pictures or My Pictures folders on a computer.
  • Movies will take longer to import since the file size is larger than still images.
  • To disconnect from the camera, turn off the camera.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same problem but with Power Shot SX610HS bought one year ago .  Great Pictures!  But can not edit and save pictures or transfer pictures to I- phone.  To get the pictures on this laptop( non Apple) which has Wifi I take micro disc out of camera and plug into computer( same as last camera).    Is the SX710HS same as SX610HS??  Also I was able to transfer pictures from this camera to the I-phone ONE TIME!!!  Can not get it to work NOW.  What am I doing wrong??

carol1954
Contributor

I have the same problem.

Am using Windows 10 but thr camera deisconnects as i try to install the driver. therefore the device has a driver error.

Help

I am frustrated

Announcements