cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX710 HS wi-fi connection problem

RobK
Apprentice

Hi:  I am unable to pair up the camera connection with my computer.  I get to the stage where both the camera wi-fi and the computer (add a device) are searching but the camera disconnects before I can register the camera to the computer.  Any suggestions? Thanks.   Rob

50 REPLIES 50

JonJon
Apprentice

Hi, been reading this thread since I bought a brand new Powershot SX 610 HS yesterday. Brought it home and attempted to connect to wi-fi.

The basic problem I've found is that the camera will not even detect our access point (router). It will randomly and intermittently detects access points down our street but never once our router 2 feet away!  The router is a TP Link  AC 750 broadcasting on 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Neither band is detected by the Canon. I have tried using WPS both PIN and PBA, neither connects. Neither will the camera connect to my wireless printer using WPS. The only form of connection I have been able to achieve is with NFC with a smartphone. While this does provide some functionality the real reason for getting a wifi enable camera was for easy transfer and printing.

When the camera is broadcasting it own SSID then all my other devices (laptop, desktop etc..) all detect the camera and will try to connect, but the camera will not connect to any of them.

The fact the camera will intermittently detect some access points leads me to suspect there is a problem with the wifi transceiver, but come on this is a brand new quality controlled product from a world leading tech giant! Looks like it will be going back to the retailer in exchange for a Coolpix!

But if anyone has any suggestions please enlighten me. Thanks

Mine's given up the ghost, again.

All transfers go through a USB mini-plug cable now. : ((

WiFi just keeps searching on th ecamera. I'll try the 'Add a device' ploy.

Just to update my previous post about not detecting WiFi access point, I've managed to solve it. The camera was fine but turned out to be the region settings on my router that was causing the problem. I live in the UK so had the router set set for UK RF settings but this seemed to be causing interference for the camera and only the camera. Don't know what made me try it, but when I changed it to US RF region the Canon immediately detected the router and has been fine. Hope this might be helpful to someone else.

csavela
Apprentice

My Powershot SX710 HS will not connect to my WiFi either. After calling Cannon support, it was determined that the issue was my AT&T UVerse router. He said their equipment has issues with this type of router and they have no solution. So the only way to get the pictures off of the camera is to either use a USB cable or to use a SD card reader.  

I called AT&T tech support, spent a long time on the phone with them, and they also were not able to come up with a solution. 

Please find a solution Canon or send me a USB cable. 

P.S. The guy from Canon who I spoke with on the phone was very nice and quick to notice what the issue was. On the other hand, the person I was emailing with from Canon support was not helpful at all. If you have an issue I would highly recommend calling them otherwise they will just copy and paste the manual and say, "Try this," after you told them you already tried that. 

Doesn't the AT&T router have ports on it, similar to a network switch?  If so, you can use your own wireless router that connects to the AT&T router thorugh one of the network switch ports. 

Your router will probably have to configured as "pass through" mode.  Consuslt your router manual and manufacturer as to what that means, and how to set it up.  Basically, your router doesn't assign an IP address.  Your router would behave as a network switch,, "passing throught" all network packets bi-directionally, except that not every connection is "wired."  Some connections can be made "wirelessly."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply!

Funny I wanted to try this when I first recieved AT&T's equipment. The fact is I've never had an issue connecting something to my router so I didnt see the need to purchase a nicer seperate wireless router. TVs, gaming systems, reciever, phone and tablets of all sorts, printers.... even Raspberry Pi connected without a hicup. 

If i'm simply trying to get the pictures off my camera, purchasing a USB cable is the cheapest way to go.

I think the main point is, why should i have to purchase another product to get Canon's product to do what it said it already does? 

Funny I wanted to try this when I first recieved AT&T's equipment. The fact is I've never had an issue connecting something to my router so I didnt see the need to purchase a nicer seperate wireless router. TVs, gaming systems, reciever, phone and tablets of all sorts, printers.... even Raspberry Pi connected without a hicup. 

If i'm simply trying to get the pictures off my camera, purchasing a USB cable is the cheapest way to go.

I think the main point is, why should i have to purchase another product to get Canon's product to do what it said it already does? 

------------------------------------------------------

Why purchase a router?  Because if your Internet Provider, AT&T, decides to change routers, or if you decide to move and wind up with a new box at your new location, then you have reconfigure everything, all of your wireless gear, all over again from scratch. 

With your own router, all have do is connect a network cable from the AT&T's box, to your router, for an Internet service conneciton. Your own router adds a layer of abstraction between you and your provider.

Everything on your side of the router remains the same no matter where you go.  Simply configure your router for "pass-through", and you're done.   The internet service side is a standard signal, which doesn't change, no matter what equipment is used, or who owns it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't know if this will help anyone but I was having this issue with an SX510 HS and here's how I fixed it:

While the camera was searching for the device, I did this:

1. Control Panel

2. Network and Sharing Center

3. Expand "All Networks"

4. Click "Choose Media Streaming Options"

5. This was OFF (it was ON previously). I turned it ON again.

6. Go to View Network Computers and Devices

7. Right-click the camera and choose "install" (if needed)

Wi Fi Image Transfers work perfectly again. I made a step-by-step guide to fix this and placed it on my desktop for future reference. I'm sure I'll have to use it again.

I have tried and tried but finally turning on media streaming option for all networks worked for me.  Thank you.

WisconsinMom
Contributor

I am having somewhat of a similar problem with my SX719HS.

Yesterday, I transferred several photos and videos from the camera to my computer with no problem...I set up the connection when I first got the camera, with no issue.

Last night, there were numerous Windows updates installed.

Today, I went to transfer a photo from the camera to the computer and it finds the access point just fine, but when finding the computer, it just keeps searching. I went into Control Panel to Devices and Printers, and the camera is there, but is greyed out, so it's not connected. For some reason, the camera cannot detect the computer or vice versa. I haven't figured out which. 

It's just odd that it was working until the Windows updates were installed. Is there a connection?

Announcements