cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX710 HS wi-fi connection problem

RobK
Apprentice

Hi:  I am unable to pair up the camera connection with my computer.  I get to the stage where both the camera wi-fi and the computer (add a device) are searching but the camera disconnects before I can register the camera to the computer.  Any suggestions? Thanks.   Rob

50 REPLIES 50

Hi lfwplasma!  

Yes, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bitly.com/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Thanks!

I called the phone number and the technician was very helpful.  We got it to work on one PC and I am still working on the second PC.  I learnt that there are many possible causes for the same "cannot connect" problem.  The Canon support team is great and I would recommend that anyone who has this problem give them a call.

lfwplasma

Ha! Here's a happy Sunday morning story for you all.

The camera found the PC !

There was some Image Viewer Xxx(?) program update available, and so I took that; installed from a standard user account with admin permission - then tried wi-fi detection - and it worked.

Probably unrelated, but give any update a try.

I can't say that I've done anything in particular to the machine in question - oldish ASUS A7Sv - other than the customary weekly sweep-out with CCleaner as s/user. Files and registry.

Shall advise of any deprecation in status.

[CONTINUED]

Upon further reflection, I do have to report that I logged out of the s/user account and in as an admin, I did 're-attach' a pair of Bluetooth headphones that had earlier been working, then stopped. For some time I couldn't get them to pair again.

Eventually I tried pairing, as admin, and although it took quite some time, and I had to interrupt an apparently hung installation of drivers for the headphones, they did re-install successfully.

Whether comms drivers had been corrupted by my earlier actions or not, I don't know, but this new stimulation of drivers DID witness a reconnection of my camera.

Related? Who knows?

What did the tech line people get you to do, lfw? Anything special?

One strange thing was to make sure that the camera clock was properly set.  I had the correct time but the camera said daylight savings time.  Since we are not now on daylight time, I needed to turn off daylight time and then reset the time by one hour.

A second important thing for my Windows 8.1 system was to go to the Control Panel and open the Devices and Printers window.  Then when the camera starts searching for the computer you need to click the "Add a device" in the upper left corner of the Devices and Printers window.  If you do not do this then the computer will not find the camera.

Hope this helps.

lfwplasma

I did that, and the PC found the computer and I added the device, but while it was installing, the camera would disconnect

I did that, and the PC found the computer and I added the device, but while it was installing, the camera would disconnect

it is frustrating to be so close but it always disconnects 

I have this problem with my SX710 with a Win 8.1 desktop, but not on any other devices.

In windows 10, opening control panel>devices and printers, then add a device whe the camera starts searching is what did the trick for me. Thanks for the input, saved the day.

Thanks lfwplasma, that was very helpful. I'm running Windows 7 and had no problem connecting my SX620 HS to my iPhone and Image Gateway but couldn't connect to the PC. I went into "Add a device" on the Control Panel, found the camera and had no problem after that.

Announcements