cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX530 HS will not power on

Folsoml
Apprentice

I recently purchased a Powershot SX530 HS new off of Ebay (May 30th, 2020).  Recently it developed a problem powering on.  If I insert a fully charged battery, it will power on as soon as the battery is inserted.  After a few moments of displaying "Canon" on the screen, it will then go to the Set Date and Time screen.  Before I can get the date set, the low battery light will start flashing and then it will power off.  I've tried several different batteries, and even purchased a brand new Duracell battery for it.  The result is the same.  

Can anyone help?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you just purchased the camera in May 2020, then you should still have several months left on your warranty.  But, it sounds like you may not have a warranty with your eBay purchase.  Let's hope that problem is merely bad batteries and/or memory card.  That's easily fixable.

Have you tried any actual genuine Canon batteries?  Make sure the battery door and the memory card door a fully closed, because they contain micro-switches that shut down the camera if they are not fully closed.

Dors this problem occur without a memory card installed in the camera?  Did you ever format your memory card in the camera before first use?  Are you using full size memory cards, or the unreliable micro-SD cards with an adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your response.  To answer your questions, Yes, I've used genuine Canon batteries, but I also purchased a brand new Duracell battery to try it.  Same result.  I've made sure the battery and memory card doors were fully closed.  I've used both full sized memory cards as well as small ones with an adapter.  

Since I posted this, I've tried simply skipping the date and time set function.  When I do this, it goes right to the playback screen, which reads there are no images.  I cannot get it to change to any of the picture taking settings.  After a few seconds, the battery light starts flashing and it shuts down.  

Announcements