cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX530 HS as a webcam

Nevets
Apprentice

I'm trying to use the SX530 HS as a webcam.  I have a Magewell USB Capture Plus converter and when I plug in the HDMI from the camera in the camera mode it displays no signal.  If I am in the view photos mode it will display ok.  How do I get it to display in the camera mode?  I have ordered the USB mini B but have not received it. yet.

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

This has become quite a common question recently.  The answer though is you can't use cameras as web cams.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nevets wrote:

I'm trying to use the SX530 HS as a webcam.  I have a Magewell USB Capture Plus converter and when I plug in the HDMI from the camera in the camera mode it displays no signal.  If I am in the view photos mode it will display ok.  How do I get it to display in the camera mode?  I have ordered the USB mini B but have not received it. yet.

You cannot use your camera as a web cam via USB.  The computer's OS sees a mass storage device, not a camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using a video capture device.  You plug in the cameras HDMI output into the device and performs its magic and outputs a video input via usb3 to the computer.  Then when you open skype or zoom and select The "USB Capture HDMI" the input from your camera is used as a webcam.  It's pretty slick if you have the right DSLR. It's looking like I have the wrong camera but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

There are numerous youtube videos on this subject.  Just do a youtube for using your DSLR camera as a webcam with a capture device.

"It's pretty slick if you have the right DSLR. It's looking like I have the wrong camera but I want to make sure I'm not missing something."

Yes, you may need a real DSLR.. If putting your camera into video mode does not provide what you need on the HDMI output, then you may have the wrong camera.  

[EDIT]. But, even a DSLR is not the correct camera for use as a web cam.  Dash cameras and camcorders work better.  Even better, use an actual web cam.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BluesMessiah
Apprentice

Did you ever figure this out?  I've watched a few of these videos and they look like you just plug it into the adapter and power it on and you're set, but I can only view pictures I've already taken, not use the camera as a video source. 

Pastorhjk
Apprentice

I'm not sure if you found a solution to this yet.  I have the same camera and was trying to do the same with my Elgato Capture device.  After searching I found this artical --> https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-make-a-canon-powershot-into-a-webcam  Just mabe it works for you.  I will try it when I get off of work.  Lets compare notes.  

Did your solution work? I am having the exact same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello there.  I am wondering the same thing.  I have the same camera, and was debating using it as a streaming camera instead of my webcam.  Perhaps the autofocus will provide extra clarity.  Did you ever come to any conclusion?

Pastorhjk
Apprentice
We to everyone’s question. I’ve tried all avenues and could not get the powershot to work. Not even on my TV using the HDMI out. So I have abandoned the idea and upgraded to a real DSLR EOS M50 Mirrorless which work right out the box. I know that’s not what you all wanted to here. I pray someone finds the solution as I still have that camera and would like to added it to the ministry.
Announcements