cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX500 line on display

SledDiva
Apprentice

My Canon PowerShot SX500 IS suddenly had a single vertical line on the left side of the display screen.  I was dissappointed to see that the line carried over into my images when I downloaded them to my Mac.  Any ideas?  I hope the camera isn't shot!  I know it wasn't terribly expensive, but I had my old point and click Olympus for 10+ years (including crazy college years) and this camera is barely a year old!

6 REPLIES 6

smack53
Mentor

SledDiva,

There was another camera model that had the same issue and it turned out that the person was using the camera in very high humidity places. Just wondering where you are using the camera.

I don't think that camera can shoot in RAW so that we could test the image processor. It could be the Digic processor or the sensor, or some corrosion on the terminals of either. It may need to be looked at by Canon repair. Since the images have the line in them, we can rule out problems with the display on the back of the camera. I don't suppose there is anything on/in the lens that could be causing the issue.

Does this happen when changing modes? Try shooting in a different mode such as P, Tv, Av, or M to see if the results are the same. If so, then I would see about sending it in for repair.

Steve M.

Thank you, I tried different modes and no change.  If anything, our home environment is too dry.  I live in the northeast and we heat our main areas of our home with a wood-burning stove.  We run a humidifier to compensate, but it certainly is not a humid environment.  

I am thinking it's going to be a Canon repair issue.  I just hope the repairs don't cost more than the camera's value.  

I'm so disappointed that this camera has lasted only a year with sporadic use.  I had purchased it when I was pregnant so that I could take pictures of my twins as they grew.  They're only 1.  This stinks! 

Those are going for about $280 new and half that or less used or on auction sites.

Have you tried a "reset all" through the settings menu?

Also as a desperation attempt you can remove the battery and hold the on button down or lever Im not sure on yours, but hold it on for about 45 seconds at least. I am in the Northeast too and it is dry this time of year, unless your camera got wet somehow ?

One last question does the line appear in the photos or just the display and or viewfinder ?

I tried the "reset all" -- no change.  I will try to remove the battry tonight and let you know if that works (fingers crossed.) The camera never got wet.  I am super careful with electronics.  The line appears on the display (which I thought was just a pixel issue) but my recent delivery of Shutterfly photos showed the line as well.  

It was not expensive, but still a few hundred dollars should have got me through a few years, at least. 

Yes it should have lasted to longer for sure !

The bad news is the line appears on your pictures so most likely the problem is internal, the image sensor etc.

Without seeing the pictures and that artifact could it possibly be a scratch on the lens ?

If you call Canon they will give you an "estimate" for repairs and sometimes they will swap it out for a refurbished camera, the same model.

Depending on the amount of accessories you have for that specific model camera my guess is it wont wake sense to invest the money to repair it.

Announcements