cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX50 HS question

HTB101
Apprentice

Hello, does the powershot SX50 HS have a mode for filiming in the night? Not taking pictures, but making movies with little to no light. Or maybe if I can modify my settings somehow that will allow me to make short films in the night. I can take pictures when it is completely dark, but it isn't like that for movies.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

You won't be able to shoot video in the dark & get results that are even close to how a photo looks. Video requires 30 or more frames per second to display as a "movie". You can't slow down the shutter speed like you can to take a still photo. When the light is low you can use long exposures to capture what light there is (for a photo) but not when shooting video.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

And there is no possible way to capture a movie in the dark?

Your camera will record what your eyes see. If it's too dark to see things well that's how the video will play back too.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I've heard some people say they use infrared filters on their cameras for still shots, but I'm not sure how that works in the dark with videos. There are special video cameras for night/low light shooting. The digital camera you have has an infrared blocker on the sensor, so you might try an infrared filter to see if you get the results you are looking for.

Steve M.

Announcements