cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX160 Date/Time Menu Resets to Zero

jrchatfield
Apprentice

The date and time menu constantly resets itself to zero.   I have to input the correct values several times a day.  Is there a fix for this??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_
Authority

Thats an easy fix your date and time battery is most likely dead and needs to be replaced it is a CR1220

Date n Time.JPG

View solution in original post

I have 3 of these models - I should have known about the battery. Thanks.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

John_
Authority

Thats an easy fix your date and time battery is most likely dead and needs to be replaced it is a CR1220

Date n Time.JPG

I have 3 of these models - I should have known about the battery. Thanks.

Your quite welcome I forget the silliest things also from time to time too lol

Hi,

It is now Feb. 2018.  I have the same problem.  I bought a new battery.  It still does not work.  The date again reset to zero when I powered off.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi ML2018! 

Thanks for joining and posting in the Canon Forums! 

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  By luck I solved the problem.  I suspected that it was a contact problem.  The bits of metal in the small cavity were very flimsy.  I tried adding a small piece of aluminum foil on the side with a bit of tail haning outside (so it won't fall in) and inserted the battery again.  It is now working well.  This means that the contact point for the battery on the side is not tight enough.

The reason I suspected the contact problem because it was also the contact problem for the CR1220 cavity in one of my older canon cameras a few years ago.

Excellent detective work!

Folllowed all the steps to contact support and it told me that I need to purchase wannty coverage.

One would think in this day and age of the smartphone digital camera, manufacturers would be humble enough to at least offer chat support free of charge.

Well lets just hope you got a bad brand new CR1220 battery because that is what maintains the date/time you set. I would try another battery and make sure it is in there correctly although I dont think it will fit if the battery isnt in the right way. Also look inside the battery compartment with a flashlight for any signs of a problem of debri in there. I got my fingers crossed it was just a bad battery

Announcements