cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SD630 only partially powers on.

dtlackey
Apprentice

I have two batteries, one of them is new.  When I push the power button the lens opens and extends but the display only comes on for a second.  The green power light to the right of the screen flashes three times.  When I push the power button to turn the camera off the screen comes on again for a second and the green light flashes 4 times.  The lens cover does not completely close unless I depress the lens.  None of the buttons respond.

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

Almost sounds like something is interfering with the lens. Has the camera been exposed to a dusty or smoky environment lately? Could be some dirt is caught in the lens barrel and needs to be cleaned out. Do you get any error message at all when you power up the camera?

I'm assuming the camera was not dropped, which could also give you some of the same symptoms. Try using a can of compressed air for electronics around the lens barrel to see if that helps any. You might get lucky with a cheap fix. The camera might need to be checked by camera repair, but it would probably cost more to fix than the camera is worth.

Steve M.

Thanks for the suggestions. I blew compressed air all around the lens to no avail.  I get no error message as the screen merely blinks on and then off and I can briefly see the normal image. It's probably best to just replace it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements