cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot Pro 1 problems Overexposure

MilwMike
Apprentice

I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1, bought it new when they came out, took excellent photos until 3 or so week ago.  Now when I press the shutter button down 1/2 way I get the green square for the focus, apeture setting, and shutter speed, continue pressing to take the photo, it should be good right as everything was green, but not so.  The photos turn out either slightly overexposed with horizontal lines(similar to a printer running out of ink)  or completely overexposed with barely any image.

Photo-2.jpg

Turn the camera off and back on again, or open the camera as if you were going to remove the battery or CF card, and close it again, and presto you can get a few more nice photos before it acts up again.  

Amtrak-8.jpg

Anyone have any clue what might be causing this?  Everything is the same, the same CF card, freshly charged batteries.  But I am clueless as to what maybe causing this. 

Thanks

Mike

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

This almost sounds like something is overheating, and when you shut the camera off for a few seconds and open the battery door, enough heat escapes to cool down the camera. Is the temperature where you are taking the photos very hot? The camera is rated for use from 0 – 40 °C (32 – 104 °F). Has it been exposed to very high temperatures for any extended period of time? Other than that, high humidity can also have an impact on the camera, but your sample shots look like normal humidity ranges.

Check the batteries also for any bulging as they could be wearing out and causing either under voltage or over current conditions that affect the camera's electronic circuits from functioning properly. See if a new set of batteries makes any difference as this would be a relatively cheap fix. If that fails, you may need to get Canon service involved.

Steve M.

The temperatures around here have been in the 70's and 80's and the humidity hasn't been too bad lately.  

Today I played around with it some more, this time in the Auto setting and photographing stationary objects, and I discovered this.  When I use the zoom just a little, I get the overexposed photo.  If I do not use the zoom, the pictures turn out fine.  

The batteries, well I have a total of 4, and all of them are relatively new and do not show any signs of bulging.  However two of them seem to hold less of a charge than the others.  

I guess I will contacting Canon service. 

Announcements