cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G7XII wifi connection Windows10

Dvdtaylor
Contributor

I cannot connect to my Win10 PC via WiFi. Have installed all the software and run the WiFi setup on the PC.

Then I press the Powershot's WiFi button and:

It finds the access point (my local home network)

I give it the password

It finds my PD as a device and I select it on the camera

(At this point I can see the canon on the PC as it pops up in the Network window of Windows Explorer)
Then we all sit there for 10ins or so, and the Canon eventually give up and says Device not found. It disappears from the Network on WinExplorer.

During the time that the canon is visible in Netowrk I try to run Canon CameraWindow, but it wont open, saying cannot find a camera.

Try to rerun Wifisetup software but it says Already Installed.

Would welcome any hints, or anyone confirm that they have got a G7XII successfully connected to Win10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dvdtaylor
Contributor

Answering my own question

Despite the fact that WiFi is unsupported on Win10 according to the camera's specifications and the help documentation, I have found it possible to connect.

The documentation in my opinion misses a necessary step: in case it is helpful, this is what for my system was needed to enable WiFi connection:

1 Download the needed software and install it

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-c...

2 Run Canon WiFi Setup

[Start] Menu > [All Apps] > Canon Utilities > Wi-Fi connection Setup.

3 On the camera hit the Wifi button, let it find your network and then your Win 10 PC. Click on the screen to select your PC if there are more than one devices showing.

4 This is the vital bit missing on anything I have seen from Canon:

While the camera is trying connect to your PC, go to the PC and RH mouseclick the start button and select Control Panel, then All control Items, then Devices and Printers.

Click Add a Device (underneath File at the top). For me it immediately offered the Powershot as a new device, click it and it gets set up on the PC.

Now, the camera appears as a device in the Devices row of the Devices and Printers window, and you see the camera on Windows Explorer, same way it looks when you have connected with a USB cable.

The camera flashes green while connected. If you switch it on to view or shoot, the wifi connection gets broken and you have to reconnect via the wifi button. Now its a little quicker to connect, though not in the end much different from using a cable.

But at least, it does work.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

I mean this bundle of stuff, which is what Canon tell you to download.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-c...

I installed this lot and then the USB cable lets the PC see the camera. (its a bit picky however, I find that not all USB cables work)

And then, following the steps I outlined on ‎01-15-2017, the WiFi also connects.

Both methods bring up the Canon in Windows Explorer - - I can't do anything with CameraWindow at the moment. When I connect wiht WiFi I get an error message saying that 'the connected camera is not supported by this software'. Despite that, the Canon pops up in Explorer, and that's good enough for me. 

(I have seen Camera Window and the Transfer Utility working but today they do not want to and I don't have time or patience to figure why at the moment.)

Me too. I have tried everything, including re-starting the services as suggested by the "Product expert". Control panel add device just says "device not found". My camera (after searching for several minutes) also says "device not found". Not supporting Windows 10 seems bizarre since it was first released July 2015 (version 1507)

@HedgeFrog wrote:
Me too. I have tried everything, including re-starting the services as suggested by the "Product expert". Control panel add device just says "device not found". My camera (after searching for several minutes) also says "device not found". Not supporting Windows 10 seems bizarre since it was first released July 2015 (version 1507)

Something on your end is blocking the camera.  Check your security settings for your access point.  

Thousands and thousands of people use it successfully.  Assuming that there is a bug, just because it doesn’t work for you, is a false assumption.  Take another look at your security settings.  Some access points can be configured to only allow certain MAC address to connect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Have checked router settings. I have an HUAWEI HG523a which by default has no MAC filtering. I have logged on to the router and checked for myself. Btw I didn't mean to say there was a "bug" because according to Canon website (as has already been stated on this blog) there is no specific support for Windows 10. That doesn't mean, of course, that there is no workaround. Sadly, in my case, despite following all the recommendations on this site, I am still without a connection.

There should be demonstration videos on the Canon Support page for your camera.  Or, you can contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi - this might be helpful to others. The Canon support page didn't help but customer support did (once they realised I had done everything by the book). The problem preventing connection to my network was the Kaspersky firewall. I have disabled it and am using the standard Windows firewall. Problem solved 🙂

My camera is a G5X and I have the same problem with FB using W10. Used to work but not today I spoke with Product Support and everything appears to be fine at my end but still does not work. I'm frustrated. 

Dvdtaylor
Contributor

Answering my own question

Despite the fact that WiFi is unsupported on Win10 according to the camera's specifications and the help documentation, I have found it possible to connect.

The documentation in my opinion misses a necessary step: in case it is helpful, this is what for my system was needed to enable WiFi connection:

1 Download the needed software and install it

2 Run Canon WiFi Setup

[Start] Menu > [All Apps] > Canon Utilities > Wi-Fi connection Setup.

3 On the camera hit the Wifi button, let it find your network and then your Win 10 PC. Click on the screen to select your PC if there are more than one devices showing.

4 This is the vital bit missing on anything I have seen from Canon:

While the camera is trying connect to your PC, go to the PC and RH mouseclick the start button and select Control Panel, then All control Items, then Devices and Printers.

Click Add a Device (underneath File at the top). For me it immediately offered the Powershot as a new device, click it and it gets set up on the PC.

Now, the camera appears as a device in the Devices row of the Devices and Printers window, and you see the camera on Windows Explorer, same way it looks when you have connected with a USB cable.

The camera flashes green while connected. If you switch it on to view or shoot, the wifi connection gets broken and you have to reconnect via the wifi button. Now its a little quicker to connect, though not in the end much different from using a cable.

But at least, it does work.

This is the fix that worked for me when facing exactly the same issue on Windows 10 - 64bit when trying to connect my Powershot SX60 HS via wifi.  

Same issue - Manual is missing a steps to "Add Device" when you see the Camera appear within explorer (Windows 10).  You need to click on Add Device to install the driver.  I believe in Windows 7 it auto installs the driver but seems this doesn't happen in Windows 10, and it needs to be installed manually).

Did not work for me

Announcements