cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G7XII wifi connection Windows10

Dvdtaylor
Contributor

I cannot connect to my Win10 PC via WiFi. Have installed all the software and run the WiFi setup on the PC.

Then I press the Powershot's WiFi button and:

It finds the access point (my local home network)

I give it the password

It finds my PD as a device and I select it on the camera

(At this point I can see the canon on the PC as it pops up in the Network window of Windows Explorer)
Then we all sit there for 10ins or so, and the Canon eventually give up and says Device not found. It disappears from the Network on WinExplorer.

During the time that the canon is visible in Netowrk I try to run Canon CameraWindow, but it wont open, saying cannot find a camera.

Try to rerun Wifisetup software but it says Already Installed.

Would welcome any hints, or anyone confirm that they have got a G7XII successfully connected to Win10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dvdtaylor
Contributor

Answering my own question

Despite the fact that WiFi is unsupported on Win10 according to the camera's specifications and the help documentation, I have found it possible to connect.

The documentation in my opinion misses a necessary step: in case it is helpful, this is what for my system was needed to enable WiFi connection:

1 Download the needed software and install it

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-c...

2 Run Canon WiFi Setup

[Start] Menu > [All Apps] > Canon Utilities > Wi-Fi connection Setup.

3 On the camera hit the Wifi button, let it find your network and then your Win 10 PC. Click on the screen to select your PC if there are more than one devices showing.

4 This is the vital bit missing on anything I have seen from Canon:

While the camera is trying connect to your PC, go to the PC and RH mouseclick the start button and select Control Panel, then All control Items, then Devices and Printers.

Click Add a Device (underneath File at the top). For me it immediately offered the Powershot as a new device, click it and it gets set up on the PC.

Now, the camera appears as a device in the Devices row of the Devices and Printers window, and you see the camera on Windows Explorer, same way it looks when you have connected with a USB cable.

The camera flashes green while connected. If you switch it on to view or shoot, the wifi connection gets broken and you have to reconnect via the wifi button. Now its a little quicker to connect, though not in the end much different from using a cable.

But at least, it does work.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Use the following to link to find the product support page for your camera, Powershot G7x Mark II.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support 

One you have navigated to the product support page, you will see square buttons, "Specifications", "Wireless Help", "Drivers and Downloads", "Manuals", and several other topics.  If you do not have a digital copy of the manual, then you can download it from here.  You can also download the latest revision of any software or firmware for the camera.

The "Wireless Help" button is a link to videos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for those useful links.

I followed the link and went to 'Wireless Help'. I launched the video and in the prequisites it is stated:

The following preparations are necessary to make connections between the camera and a computer via a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi).

A computer with Windows 8, Windows 7, or Mac OS 10.8 - 10.9 installed.

A wireless connection between the computer and a wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) router must be established in advance.

I also found this page

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART116334&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

therefore I assume the reason why I cannot connect is that Windows 10 is not supported for wifi connections

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi DvTaylor,

I recommend the following trouble shooting tips for Windows users:

On a computer running Windows, configure and ensure the following settings before connecting the camera to the computer wirelessly.

1. Confirm that the computer is connected to an access point. (For instructions on checking your network connection, refer to the computer user manual.)

2. Configure the settings below.

Windows 7: Click in the following order: [Start] Menu > All Programs > Canon Utilities > CameraWindow > Wi-Fi Connection Setup

Windows 10: Click in the following order: [Start] Menu > [All Apps] > Canon Utilities > Wi-Fi connection Setup. (Please note there is no start screen on Windows 10)

Step 3: In the application that opens, follow the on-screen instructions and configure the setting.

The following Windows Settings are configured when you run the utility in step 2.

• Turn on media streaming. (This will enable the camera to see/find the computer to access via Wi-Fi.)
  • Turn on network discovery. (This will enable the computer to see/find the camera)
  • Turn on ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol). This allows you to check the network connection settings.
  • Enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). This will enable network devices to detect each other automatically.

Troubleshooting Steps.

In the event that the camera and the computer does not see each other, restarting the services described below may help. (This requires Administrative priviliges with your PC. For additional assistance, refer to the computer user manual or consult your computer manufacturer.)

To restart the services described, go to [Control Panel] > View by: [Large Icons] > [Administrative Tools] > [Services]

With the following services, right click each service and left click [Restart] for each of them.

* Windows Image Aquisition (Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras)
* UPnP Device Host (Allows UPnP devices to be hosted on this computer.)
* SSDP Discovery ("Network Discovery"/"Media Streaming"/"ICMP" services - Discovers devices and services that use the SSDP discovery protocol, such as UPnP devices. Also announces SSDP devices and services running on the local computer.)

Note with Security Software/Hardware

Some security software and/or hardware may prevent you from completing the settings as described in this article. If issues with connectivity persists (or if you use MAC Address Filtering on your Wi-Fi network and/or security software on computer), you may configure your security software by the camera's MAC Address (Media Access Control Address or Physical Address).

You can check your camera's MAC address by choosing [Menu] > [Tools] Tab > [Wi-Fi Settings] > [Check MAC address].

Check the settings of your security software or consult your security software vendor for instructions to either allow the above services to be used or whitelisting of the camera on your network and/or computer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Richard

Thank yo for your detailed response and I appreciate your help.

I am now a bit puzzled however. THe Support system as far as I can tell does make it clear that only Win 7 and 8 are supported for WiFi connections 

http://downloads.canon.com/html/wireless/modules/dc-pc-14a-en/14a-en-1000-001/14a-en-1000-001.html

http://downloads.canon.com/wireless/camera/SX60-HS-G7X-Sending-images-from-a-camera-to-a-computer-vi...

However you do refer to Win10 below. I did follow everything you suggested in Troubleshooting but it made no difference.

Yesterday my camera found my access point and then in that network it found my device (PC). Today (after an overnight shutdown) it finds the access point but can see no devices. 

Seems like I won't be able to use WiFi on my Win10 PC.

Your computer has one set of wireless communication hardware, which connects to your access point.  Your computer cannot make a wireless connection to your PC and the camera at the same time.  Both devices would need to connect to a wireless network, like your local wireless LAN. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry if I did not make it clear - I am indeed connecting the PC to the camera via a router (the access point).

I did in fact solve the problem. Despite Canon's documentation saying that Win10 is not supported, it is possible to connect perfectly satisfactorily. I listed the steps involved that worked for me but for some reason the post is not showing on the forum. I accepted my own second post as the solution, but the solution link does not work.

The key is to 'Add a device' on Win 10 while the camera is trying to connect to the device (ie your PC). After that all is OK.

I'm late to this party, having bought a G5X two days ago and gnashed my teeth in rage at this issue. My problem is that when I added the camera it said "Installing device drivers" and got stuck with the progress bar not gone too far, at which point the camera said "Disconnected". Subsequently, I have tried the same sequence of steps to no avail; the camera does not show up in my list. It simply won't stay connected. Now when I try connecting it, the camera just searches for the device, then backs out to the playback screen with no explanation. 

Moreover, I am unable to connect the device as an external drive using a USB cable, as one would any other camera. 

This is insanely frustrating. Any advice or help would be appreciated. 

I am wondering if you have not yet installed the Canon software on your PC. I wonder this because using the link with a USB cable was unproblematic for me (while the WiFi initially was not). Could it be that because you do not have the right drivers on the PC it cannot see the camera as a USB device?

If you have already installed the software then forgive me for the wrong conclusion. If not, see my previous reply for the link to get it.

Do you mean Canon EOS software (not recommended as per Canon) or Camera Window (installed, but defunct due to inability to connect via Wifi)? Image Transfer Utility is installed but will not open when prompted for love nor money. It is a dead piece of software. 

Announcements