cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G7X: Unable to record any videos

justTrying2Vlog
Apprentice

Hi,

I've had my camera for about 2 years now, and just recently ran into this issue where I am unable to record any videos when I press the red record button. I've tried to do some of my own research online, but wasn't really finding anything completely helpful. I thought it was an issue with my memory card so the card currently in my camera is cleared - this didn't help.

My camera is honestly lightly used and it's a shame that I can't take any videos, since it is the main use of my camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JustTrying2Vlog,

Thank you for posting.

When you said "the card currently in my camera is cleared", did you format your camera's memory card, in the camera?  If so, did you use the "Low-level" option (recommended)?

Which model memory card are you using in your camera?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi everyone,I was gifted a Canon PowerShot G7x for my birthday this month and I don't have a great amount of experience with advanced digital cameras. In the manual it simply states to have it in auto mode and "Press the movie button to start shooting (a red button on the camera) and press it again to stop".So, sounds simple enough? But when I press it, nothing happens? I've been trying for hours and it just does nothing, once or twice (Out of the 409 times I tried pressing the button) something would pop up in the corner sayinf 'set focal length', I tried looking  that up in the manual but can't find anything that seems to help.[links removed]

@athman8 wrote:

...In the manual it simply states to have it in auto mode and "Press the movie button to start shooting (a red button on the camera) and press it again to stop"...

The "AUTO" setting on the mode dial is for shooting stilll images. The mode dial should be turned to the "VIDEO" setting (movie camera icon) for shooting video.

How close to the camera is your subject? Are you trying to shoot in low light conditions? If the camera is unable to focus on your subject it may not allow you to record video. It may not let you shoot stills either under certain conditions.

Announcements