Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-13-2020

Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

In Auto mode moving the zoom lever shows the focal distance (24 - 120 mm). However in PSAM and C mode the display shows values like 5, 10, 15 and 20 cm to infinity. How can I see the focal length or convert these values to focal lengths in PSAM modes? This is necessary to calculate things like Depth of Field.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,986
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

Those are the focal lengths that you use to calculate depth of field. Your lens is an 8.8 to 44 mm lens, which is what you use for calculations. The 35 mm equivalent is 24mm to 120mm, which is there for your convenience.

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-13-2020

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM


@kvbarkley wrote:

Those are the focal lengths that you use to calculate depth of field. Your lens is an 8.8 to 44 mm lens, which is what you use for calculations. The 35 mm equivalent is 24mm to 120mm, which is there for your convenience.


Thank you for your reply. But I still do not understand what is the focal length of "15cm - infinity". How do I translate 15 cm to focal distance, when I'm shooting a subject at 5 m distance? What is the depth of field then? The lens is 24 to 120 mm, so where am I when I read 15 cm in PSAM mode?

VIP
Posts: 11,987
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM


@pocus wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Those are the focal lengths that you use to calculate depth of field. Your lens is an 8.8 to 44 mm lens, which is what you use for calculations. The 35 mm equivalent is 24mm to 120mm, which is there for your convenience.


Thank you for your reply. But I still do not understand what is the focal length of "15cm - infinity". How do I translate 15 cm to focal distance, when I'm shooting a subject at 5 m distance? What is the depth of field then? The lens is 24 to 120 mm, so where am I when I read 15 cm in PSAM mode?


FYI, focal length of the lens is completely independent of the focus distance between the camera and the subject.  Both pieces of info are needed to estimate the DoF.  However, you also need to know information about the sensor size before you have ALL of the information most apps need to estimate DoF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-13-2020

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM


@Waddizzle wrote:

@pocus wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Those are the focal lengths that you use to calculate depth of field. Your lens is an 8.8 to 44 mm lens, which is what you use for calculations. The 35 mm equivalent is 24mm to 120mm, which is there for your convenience.


Thank you for your reply. But I still do not understand what is the focal length of "15cm - infinity". How do I translate 15 cm to focal distance, when I'm shooting a subject at 5 m distance? What is the depth of field then? The lens is 24 to 120 mm, so where am I when I read 15 cm in PSAM mode?


FYI, focal length of the lens is completely independent of the focus distance between the camera and the subject.  Both pieces of info are needed to estimate the DoF.  However, you also need to know information about the sensor size before you have ALL of the information most apps need to estimate DoF.


OK. I'm not using any app. I just need to know the focal distance of the reading "15 cm to infinity". That's all I need to know.

VIP
Posts: 11,987
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

"OK. I'm not using any app. I just need to know the focal distance of the reading "15 cm to infinity". That's all I need to know."

 

Final attempt.  The camera does not tell you focus distances, only the focal length in use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,986
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

I am not sure about that. "15 cm to infinity" does sound more like a focus distance or range, "Infinity" makes no sense as a focal length.

Pocus:

You can look at the EXIF info in your images and see what the focal length is. Are you in some sort of macro mode?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,986
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

The only display that I found that comes close to what Pocus is describing is the macro focus screen:

Untitled.jpg

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-13-2020

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

This is the screen in PSAM and C mode. Please, experts, tell me what is the focal distance in this case. I cannot use the EXIF at the moment of taking a picture. I need to know the focal distance at the moment of taking the picture.

Canon.jpg

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎09-13-2020

Re: Powershot G5X mark ii: Cannot see the focal length in PSAM

Thank you for your reply. However from the picture of the macro focus I can only see centimeters, too, i.e. distance to the object, not focal distance of the lens. The only modes which show the focal distance are Auto and SCN.

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement