cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G3, LCD screen never displays, always black.

nw7b
Apprentice

Powershot G3, LCD screen now never displays, always black. Cycling through LDC on/off via the "Display" button doesn't help. Fresh full battery (more than one tried). Cause of problem? Solution?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes that camera goes for about $30 working on eBay, It should becuase I buy the G5's and S5 iS's which are later, better models...the G5's go for about 40 and the S5's for about $60..fully working. It doesnt make sense for you to fix that one.

View solution in original post

One last thing, If that camera has a video/audio out cable you may be able to see the menus that way to try a reset.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

John_
Authority

Cause...could be one of a half dozen things from a bad lcd, bad interconnect cable to the lcd, faulty main board, perhaps the display switch, a loose connetion....

Have you tried a reset throught the settings menu?

Outside of that is will need to be repaired.

How old is the camera?

When or how did the problem start, like all of a sudden the display went blank while using it or it failed right as you turned it on?

I didnt look up that model but I know the G5 has a swivel display, if your does try moving it around see if u can get the display back that way just make sure the veiwfinder is off.

Does the veiwfinder still work?

cicopo
Elite

The G3 is a rather old camera & not worth repairing. If it was in as new condition & worked perfectly it wouldn't be worth much on the used market thanks to progress. You could buy a new camera but before you do (assuming you live in the USA) check what's available through the Canon Loyalty Program. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

nw7b
Apprentice

Thanks John and Cicopo.

Yes, the LCD swivels. I've moved it fully.

It started when I first turned on the camera after a couple months not using it.

I'd like to try a reset as you suggest, but how do I do that if the LCD doesn't display?

The viewfinder (near the top of the camera) still works, but it appears to be purely optical like a 35mm film viewfinder camera.

Cicopo: I'm not familiar with the Canon Loyalty Program. Could you indicate how I can access it?

Thanks again.

Good point you cant see the menus unless you have an audio/vidoe usb option fot that model

I know working G5's go for around $30, S5 iS's about 50 which is a much nicer camera on eBay yours may be a lost cause

Re Loyalty Program see message # 3 here.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216295/0?keyword=Canon,Loyalty,program#11585215

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes that camera goes for about $30 working on eBay, It should becuase I buy the G5's and S5 iS's which are later, better models...the G5's go for about 40 and the S5's for about $60..fully working. It doesnt make sense for you to fix that one.

One last thing, If that camera has a video/audio out cable you may be able to see the menus that way to try a reset.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements