cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G12 purple streaked images.

Justin
Enthusiast

I am getting purple streaked images from my Powershot G12.  The menu screen looks normal and is not distorted.  only the video preview and photos.  Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix it or do I need to send it in for repair?

Thanks

Justin

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
Hi,

Are the purple streaks along the edges of solid objects? A lot of lenses suffer from chromatic aberration (CA), which shows up as purple-pink and/or green streaks along edges of things. It is worst in high contrast areas, such as tree branches or leaves against a bright sky background. You also see it on other edges like roofs and windows on buildings.

If so it is one of the easier things to fix in post processing (Lightroom, etc).
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The entire image is one big purple streak. I cant even tell what the picture is.  The picture was taken in broad daylight so I know its not an exposure problem.  I also took several other pictures with various settings to make sure.  The video playback is also a big distorted purple streak.  I first thought it was a problem with the screen on the back of the camera, but all of the menu settings look perfectly normal.

Justin,

You don't mention if you shoot in RAW or JPEG. I will make the assumption that this is happening with the JPEG images, so I would suggest you change to RAW format and see if the problem persists. If everything looks good with the RAW photo, then it could be the Digic processor that has failed. If everything is still the same in RAW, then the sensor may be the culprit. (in order to see the RAW photos, you may need to download the Digital Photo Professional software from Canon to accomplish this.)

By using the RAW, you bypass the processor and do the processing in software. If the Digic processor is the culprit, it could be an expensive repair and this would be a work around to still use the camera. If the sensor is at fault, then you would need to send the camera in for repair.

Steve M.

The pictures are distorted on both JPG and Raw.  The latest set of photos I took look like the colors are not lineing up.  Sort of like the colors are on different layers and they have moved apart from each other.  It looks like when the convergence on a TV goes out.  They are also out of focus, but its hard to tell when the pictures are this distorted.

It seems like I will need to send it in to Canon for repairs but I do not know what the procedure is. 

Fertographer
Contributor

IMG_3120.JPGI know this is 8 years later but there's a lot of G12's out there.

I had that problem and [thought] I solved it with a reset of settings. But this did not fix it. I know that that  lot of others have had this same problem with the G12. This may be a factory caused or design issue. Canon should be looking into this.

The issue is that on the screen, following taking a picture the display goes a purple hue, with lots of horizontal stripes, same happens to picture that is taken and stored.

Announcements