cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot Camera Suggestion for personal use

moeen
Apprentice

Hey,

I was looking for some Family / Personal use powershot camera. The specifications of this model looking good ( Spectell.com/canon-g9-x-digital-camera/ ) but still not sure... 😉

I want the feature "background blur" & capability of taking the picture of "Moving objects".

Any suggestion or recomandation will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Moeen.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

[link removed per forum guidelines (solicitation)]

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"[link removed per forum guidelines (solicitation)]"

It it was a link to a test report. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi, John!

We understand what you were going for with the link you posted. When we visited it, however, the site was promoting the sale of the product it was reviewing. Unfortunately, we have to count that as a solicitation to get the visitor to buy something.

We'll generally allow links as long as they're relevant to the conversation, help to illustrate a point, or provide pertinent content that our forum might not readily support due to technical constraints. If the link is deemed inapporpriate, offensive, or to have a primary purpose of selling something, we reserve the right to remove it.

We hope this helps clear things up!

=Danny in Social Media

Thanks for the clarification Danny. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1.  What is your budget?

2.  How often do you anticipate taking pictures, and of what type of subjects?

3.  How much do you know about digital cameras?

Comments:

1.  Manufacturers offer different camera lineups because of performance tradeoffs in the different designs.  Unless you spend top dollar for one of the flagship models, no one camera will be able to do everything well.  In fact, some cameras are designed to be inexpensive, first and foremost, and only take mediocre pictures as a result.

2.  Many inexpensive cameras [<$500] are quite expensive, if not impossible, to repair, and are, in fact, designed to be disposable.  Many inexpensive cameras are not designed to be as rugged as some of their more expensive cousins.  Cameras that do a good job of photographing "moving objects" tend to be more expensive than average.

3.  Picture quality is really about the size of the pixels on the image sensor, not megapixels.  Picture quality is really more about the quality of the "glass" [lens], not the focal length of the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@moeen wrote:

Hey,

I was looking for some Family / Personal use powershot camera. The specifications of this model looking good ( Spectell.com/canon-g9-x-digital-camera/ ) but still not sure... 😉

I want the feature "background blur" & capability of taking the picture of "Moving objects".

Any suggestion or recomandation will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Moeen.

I think John was trying to show you that the camera is fairly well rated.  Bear in mind, that it is not near the top of the Powershot product line.  You may find the results disappointing when it comes to "moving objects", depending upon what they are, how close you are, and the nature of the movement.

As far as "background blur" goes, most of that comes from using a narrow camera aperture on the lens, the focal length you are using, and the distance between subject and camera.  In other words, creating it comes with experience and familiarity with your gear.

Do a web search for " depth of field ".  I would also suggest doing research on " exposure triangle ", too.  I think the more that you know about cameras and photography, the better informed choice you will make when it comes to purchasing a camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements