cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot A580 and replace batteries

Mabocat
Contributor

The camera is a few years old and recently even with replacing with new batteries - I get either a blank screen with a flashing red battey icon - surprising one can still take a photo

or I get a mesager Replace batteries &

it switches itself off

Battery used is a Polaroid super heavy duty aa size

anyone else had this problem?

Ron

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mabocat,

Thanks for posting.

From your description, the issue you've encountered may be the batteries you're using.

We recommend the use of rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries in your camera. We recommend a power rating of at least 2500 milliamp-hour (MAH). More is better, still. You may also use lithium Ion batteries in your camera, too. A good set of alkaline batteries will also power your camera, however battery life will be shorter.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Hi Mabocat,

Thanks for following up.

If you're still encountering this issue, please contact our technical support team. For contact options, please use this URL: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mabocat,

Thanks for posting.

From your description, the issue you've encountered may be the batteries you're using.

We recommend the use of rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries in your camera. We recommend a power rating of at least 2500 milliamp-hour (MAH). More is better, still. You may also use lithium Ion batteries in your camera, too. A good set of alkaline batteries will also power your camera, however battery life will be shorter.

Thank you Richard, I will purchase some alkaline batteries next week & give it a try & will advise.

Ron.

OK Richard, thansk for that - yes using Alkaline & so far , so good.

Ron

It now seems the camera is at fault, the display now shows batteries to be replaced but they are still good even on a normal load like a globe.

Hi Mabocat,

Thanks for following up.

If you're still encountering this issue, please contact our technical support team. For contact options, please use this URL: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Thanks Richard - it is working for what I need - the camera is many years old now so I am not too worried

Ron

I have the same issue and replaced the AA batteries. There is a smaller battery also but my camera is years old and I can not read the size. I no longer have my manual. Can you tell me what size I need. It's small and flat like a watch battery. Thanks in advance.

Tennia

That's a CR1220 battery for the date and time. Here is the link to your manual you can download it and save it: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300000752/01/PSA580_CUG_EN.pdf

Thanks John. This has been a great camera for me over the years I hate to not use it.

Announcements