cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX530 not detected

MightyMouse
Contributor

The CameraWindow does not detect my PowerShot SX530 so I can't download the pictures via wi-fi.  I have windows 8.1 (x64) and it's listed as a device in the control panel.  I have tried everything I know of, including calls to tech support.  Both software downloads were downloaded, per tech support, to see if that helped; it didn't.  I've installed and reinstalled 3 times and nothing.  How do I fix this?  Thanks for your help. 

7 REPLIES 7

MightyMouse
Contributor

I thought maybe Canon would help with this issue?  I tried a troubleshoot and when I saw this, I am wondering if this is why the CameraWindow does not work as it does not detect my camera and AutoPlay does not list the camera.  Does anyone know if this makes the difference?  I have Windows 8.1 and downloaded the software for 8.1.  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powershot_sx530_hs#Dr...

Jim.jpg

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert
Hi MightyMouse, There are a couple of reasons that this can happen. First, if your software is running in the Compatibility mode, it probably won't start or detect your camera. If your camera is correctly recognized by your computer, our software should recognize your camera and transfer your images. Because of the potential complexity, I recommend contacting us. For contact options, please click here. If you use contact us via email, let us know that you're using Windows 8.1 and you've updated your Canon software to the latest version. For contact options, please use this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer (Please note: the website is experiencing difficulties today. It should be back up tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard.  Thank you for responding.  I have contacted Canon twice by phone and by email.  Email person only gave me robotic answers,  linked a website I had already been to and it was mentioned it in my email to Canon where issues started happening, and then told me to try connecting it on another computer.  If this picture can help you direct me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.  The camera is not connecting via Wi-Fi now at all where as for the last few days, it was on and off. 

Compatibility mode.jpg

Hi MightyMouse,

You're welcome- I understand where you're coming from.

Based on that image, your computer isn't running our software in the compatibility mode.

A wireless setup is really outside of what we're able to fully address here, in a forum setting, but there is one thing I recommend checking into:  Please ensure that you're able to log into your Canon iMAGE Gateway account(http://www.canon.com/cig), using your browser.  If you're unable to log in, let us know what, if any errors you encounter.

The next thing I recommend is taking a look at the email you received from the Technical Support Team.  It should have included step-by-step instructions.  Please let us know the point at which you encountered difficulty with the wireless connection.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yes, they sent me the link; however, I had already been there, tried it several times and it didn't work.  This is what I sent in via email from your website: 

> Please provide the exact problem description
> (Please do not enter any credit card details or other financial information):
> I cannot download pictures via wifi and I would like to use this feature. CameraWindow does not recognize the camera. The camera is not showing up under AutoPlay. Sometimes when the camera tries to connect to my laptop, it states the settings are wrong. They're not. It connects when it wants to. As I type, it is having issues connecting to the laptop....searching. 4 bars for strength. Connected earlier with no issues.

> Please provide previous troubleshooting steps, or information that can help Canon assist you:
> I have called tech support twice. The first time it would not connect to my laptop. They could not help. I figured this out on my own. Second time for the above issue. No help from tech support. I've installed and uninstalled the software 3 times already...didn't help. I've posted on your forum hoping someone from canon would help me. No response. Someone on the windows forum has the same camera and had no issues with it. When I followed these steps on your site (https://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/wireless/camera/Sending-images-to-a-computer_sx530.pdf... if you go to page 23, 7B-2 (and going forward), this did not appear on my screen. However, it is listed under Control Panel/Devices and Printers.
>
> Has anything changed since the unit funtioned properly?
> (Installation of software, setting, cabling etc.):
> No.
>
> Are you receiving a specific error code, if so please enter here:
> CameraWindow: Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera, then retry.

Another response from tech support:  "If you have followed all of the steps and it is not working then I would recommend trying an alternate computer on a different network to rule out the network and the computer itself as the culprit. If you are still unable to get it to work then you could be right and it may be a problem with the Wi-Fi on the camera. Seeing that you have follow our directions and have even spoken to our tech support team twice for live troubleshooting it would be best to try another computer on another network in order to help us pinpoint why it is not connecting. Once you have had the opportunity let us know your findings and if the camera requires service I would be happy to send you a courtesy shipping label to send it in to us. I understand how frustrating this can be when you are trying everything to get it to work and it doesn't. I would be happy to continue to work with you to get this issue resolved."

The only other Wi-Fi devices I have access to, my Windows 7 notebook your program doesn't support 1024 x 600 (which is the max for the notebook) and my oldest laptop, your program doesn't support Windows XP.  I guess I would think most people don't own a number of computers to try this on and not all computers are Wi-Fi capable...as my regular computer isn't.  (My laptop is.)

As I was/am going to return the camera this week, I deleted the files on my laptop.  I reinstalled the files yesterday hoping if I give it another shot, it'll work; however, now the camera won't connect at all to my laptop (not showing up under Devices).  It just keeps searching for it.  I get messages:  Error detected, Wrong wi fi info (it's the correct password), Device not found, etc.

I was able to upload pictures to the Canon iMage Gateway prior to uninstalling the files. 

Hi Richard,

For some reason, the camera just now decided to connect (after countless tries today and uninstalling and reinstalling the software again), and I was able to use the CameraWindow!  However, due to the issues for the past week with it not connecting, disconnecting whenever it wanted to, and everything else, I sincerely feel there is an issue with the camera.  The store where I purchased it from is getting another one in for me.  

Thank you for your help. 

Announcements