cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX40 HS. Tablet?

Enyaron
Apprentice

After looking through the internet for about 4 hours I've come to the forums for your help, I mainly use my camera for event photography and lugging around a laptop just isnt possible in some cases therefore I'm trying to set up my tablet (Archos Cobolt 80) to be able to view my photo's on the go with a on the go usb, however I'm having trouble getting it to work because simply plugging it in doesnt show the camera's photo's and finding firmware that supports the camera and tablet (its an Android OS 0.4 Ice Cream to be exact).

I've tried downloading ZoomBrowser EX but the tablet wouldn't recognise it, I'm at the moment trying to downloading the software and putting it into the tablets root directory to see if that would work in installing the software. Although I'm unsure if this will work however it does say that its compatitable with windows 7 on the tablets spec page.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

-Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

tnicoson
Enthusiast

Enyaron

The Android Operating System, itself, should detect the presence of the camera and then start a default gallery app that allows you to view and/or download the images and possibly do some cursory editing or correcting.  You should not need any additional apps to do at least that much.  Are you remembering to turn the camera on?  Android can not connect with it, if it is off.

I just connect the USB cable that came with my SX40 to the USB adapter that came with my Samsung tablet, and everything goes from there.  All I need to do is choose whether to just view the images on the camera's SD card or to actually download them to the Samsung's SD card.  I also have the ES3 File Manager app and the PicSay Pro image editor, but I do not need those to get the images off the camera.  Android alone does that.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

I have tried both on and off as well as downloading the programs directly however it hasn't picked them up. In regards to the cable it does not fit my tablets usb which is why I've been given an OTG usb cable which doesn't seem to work or let my tablet pick up the camera(will test this with other tablets in the household.)

I have however tried connecting a USB MiniCardReader and put the camera's card in to be told that there was an "Damaged USBdisk

USBdisk damaged. You may have to reformat it."

Upon clicking the error it tells me that "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped." Upon clicking Ok on that the background goes black and returns after a few seconds, what I assume is the system UI restarting.

Back to the USB MiniCardReader upon plugging in the camera's Sandisk it does boot up the blue light on the diskreader.

I'd like to add that this tablet was given to me as my father had gotten a newer tablet so I'am unaware as to the placement of the orginal cable that came with it. I'll give that a try if he can find it.

Edit: Apparently when we orginally got the Tablet it did not come with a USB link just a charger. However I'm going to look into getting a USB adapter for it so I can try the USB cable that came with the camera orginally.

Enyaron

I think you are on the right track.  From all I have read about the OTG cables, they were really designed for connecting USB flash drives and SD card readers to tablets, not for connecting cameras directly to tablets.  So I suspect the OTG cable you have just does not have the right connections for camera-to-tablet.  I checked the Archos site, and they have the original USB cable marked as "out of stock", which tells me they probably no longer handle it.  There is a third party cable available on Amazon that is supposedly both a charge cable and a data sync cable.  If you are interested, you can find it at:

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Cobalt-compatible-Unique-Gomadic/dp/B00GNB479K

BUT . . . I am not sure this will get you anywhere as far as connecting to your SX40, as it has a male USB connector for connecting to a computer or laptop female USB port.  You need a female USB connection on the end of the cable from the tablet, so now I am not certain if a direct camera connection is really possible.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

Announcements