cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX210 IS problem

Jen9874
Apprentice

I need help!  I have owned the SX210 IS for a couple years now.  Recently I have discovered as I print my photos, the image is cropped, regardless of whether I print them in 4 x 6 format or 4 x 5.33.  Before this problem occurred (starting around 6 months ago) I had always printed in 4 x 5.33 format and the image would print perfectly, as it showed up on the camera screen.

Now I have to either open the image in photoshop and change the pixels, or crop the photo on the York Photo website before I send my order to print.  The cropping clips the photo in the horizontal direction.

My question is, what settings should the camera be on so that I can print in a 4 x 6 (or 4 x 5.33) format without having to modify the downloaded image first? 

I'm not extremely well-versed at all the camera settings since I usually shoot in Auto or Kids/Pets or Landscape mode, but I sure appears that I must have messed something up in the manual settings to get where I am today.

Any insight is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

smack53
Mentor

Jen9874,

This sounds like it might be a setting in the software that you use to print with and not necessarily the camera. What software are you using to print photos? Was there an update to the software in the last six months? Are you printing directly from the camera to the printer, and is it the same printer that you were using when the problem first began? Any updates to printer drivers can impact the output by changing the default values. Any additional information you can give us would really help the community get you the right help.

Steve.

Steve, I typically upload to York Photos - I rarely if ever print at home.  So I'm simply downloading from the camera to my computer, and then uploading to yorkphoto.com.

Okay, I looked at the camera specifications and it looks like you might have the pixel resolution set to use the widescreen recording pixel feature. All the other settings are native to the 4x5.33 which should be okay for the 4x6 without cropping. Check that to make sure the widescreen is not being used and you should be okay.

Steve.

Steve, thanks...I checked though It wasn't on Widescreen - right now it is on M3 (1600 x 1200), but i just set it there in the last week to see if anything would change. 

This is what has been so frustrating for me..I can't for the life of me figure out or find anything that would have changed in these settings in the past few months!  And now unfortunately I have 2000 pics from a nice vacation - all printed with clipped images. 

There is also the possibility that the printing service may have done something incorrectly when printing out the photos, but of course they would never admit to that. Since I don't use this service, I can't really comment on whether there are any settings or instructions that could be at fault here. Do you have a printer that you could print one or two photos to see if they come out correctly? This would be one way to test if the printing service did use correct settings or not.

Steve.

John_
Authority

Since you always use Auto or a predetermined mode for you pictures you can try resetting your camera to default settings thru the Menu, Reset All..that should elimiate and camera setting. It does not reset the date and time. You can also do the same on your printer, reset to defaults, if resetting the camera does not help.

What printer are you using ?

Announcements