cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot S120 Memory Card Error

cecisme
Apprentice

I have a brand new PowerShot S120 which, according to the Getting Started guide, is compatible with SDXC memory cards. I purchased a brand new SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC memory card. When I turn the camera on the following error message is displayed: "Memory card error". I am not able to format the memory card using the camera's Format tool; this option is "greyed out" on the camera settings menu. I have verified that the memory card is not in the locked position and that the memory card has been properly inserted into the camera. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Does your manual list a max size the crd can be? .

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the reply. The manual states that the camera is compatible with SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards, and that "these memory cards can be used, regardless of capacity".

You might want to try a different brand of memory card. I had an issue with one of my Canon PowerShots with the memory card and just switching brands took care of the issue. I've had good luck with SanDisk SDHC cards, so this kind of surprises me that the SanDisk isn't working for you.

Smack53

cecisme
Apprentice

EPILOGUE:

I tested the SDXC card by inserting it into my PC's (Win 8.1 x64) memory card reader; File Explorer was able to read the card without issue. Given this result, and the fact that the memory card is manufactured by the global leader in flash memory solutions, I can only conclude that the camera simply cannot read an SDXC memory card, which is contrary to Canon's advertising and user guide documentation. I suppose my only recourse will be to return the camera as defective. Very frustrating and unfortunate.

Announcements