cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot ELPH 180 - images too large?

jargey3000
Apprentice

Hi. I have to submit photos to a website, for work. my old camera was a samsung S1080 (10.2MP). now, when I tried to submit photos using the Powershot, they get rejected as too large? I know nothing about all this stuff. Can the canon photos be made smaller in size (easily?) or is this  just a problem with my job website, meaning I'll have to stick with my samsung? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

John_
Authority

It is telling you the size of the file is too big. They restrict the size of the file to some value you should find out the max file size. That has happened to me. I use Paint 3D or just Paint to resize the pictures into smaller files.

Also in the future, you should be able to change the size of your pictures (file size) through your camera settings. Some have settings like Small, Medium and Large.

thanks. I'd like to permanently change the file size setting (to a smaller size) on the camera.

can this be done on the ELPH 180?

Yes it can be done, this is right out of your manual, page 34: You have, L, M1, M2, S, and W to choose from . S should work or M2

Pic Size.JPG

thanks so much (I dont have the manual)

I'll try it on the S setting "for e-mailing images"

Question: if I leave it set on the "S" - how might this affect the 'quality' of non-work photos that i take & may want to get prints from?

Your welcome!

For shots you will or might want to have prints made you will want to change it back to the L setting for best quality. The lower settings will produce less quality. Here is a link to your camera manual for you to download and save:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300022102/01/elph190is-ixus180-cu-en.pdf

got it!

thanks guys.

As stated, the site you're sending the photos to probably has a maximum size requirement. There may be a minimum size specified as well, but that's less likely.

If you don't have a user manual, consider downloading the online version from Canon.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/slim-styli...

I have an ELPH160 which appears to be a very similar camera. They don't seem to give you the variety of different shooting sizes that the older or more more complex camera models do. To change image size you need to press the FUNC SET button and scroll thru the icons on the left side of the screen. The user manual is lacking a little bit in describing the procedure, but the camera's on-screen descriptions will help explain the process. Image sizes are shown as L, M1, M2 and S, or something similar. Try using the M2 or S settings and see if the images will upload properly.

Just remember that if these smaller image files are to be used for printing, the printed image quality can be somewhat degraded. If you want to make better quality prints, especially in larger sizes, use the L or M1 image size setting.

Announcements