cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot 190IS stuck in Auto....how do I get out???

johnwinn
Apprentice

I have a Canon Powershot ELPH190IS and I somehow hit the wrong buttons. I usually

use the P mode but somehow I am in Auto and a mode with a moon and 2 stars, long

shutter speed???? I turned camera off but it keeps coming to these settings.....how do I

escape this EVIL setting????? John

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnwinn wrote:

I have a Canon Powershot ELPH190IS and I somehow hit the wrong buttons. I usually

use the P mode but somehow I am in Auto and a mode with a moon and 2 stars, long

shutter speed???? I turned camera off but it keeps coming to these settings.....how do I

escape this EVIL setting????? John

I do not know the first thing about the menus and camera setup for those type of cameras.  I downloaded a manual.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300022102/01/elph190is-ixus180-cu-en.pdf

And, I found the camera reset feature on page 104.

761356D2-248A-4FE6-9AB6-A9014E355805.jpeg

Your camera seems to be stuck in a long exposure shooting mode, or maybe it is special mode for photographing the Moon and night skies full of stars.  Clearing all camera settings with a [Reset All] should hopefully bring it back to “normal.”

4D908CAD-F132-467B-BD79-C6D129EFE280.jpeg

I found the above on page 37, which tells you how to enter a “Scene Mode”.  You seem to be in Long Exposure mode.

9727761C-0D0A-424C-8A1C-CA4B33D9CE81.jpeg

Using Long Exposure mode is described on page 42.  Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Johnwinn, thanks for posting.

Waddizzle is correct.

The Auto button is semi-programmable. Its "Auto" setting cannot be changed, but its second setting can be changed. To change it, press the AUTO button until you see the "Long Shutter" setting appears, then press the FUNC SET button. Now, scroll down to the Long Shutter icon, press the RIGHT Arrow button, then scroll up or down to choose "P", or any other (available) mode, as illustrated in Waddizzle's post.

Once you've selected your preferred mode, press the FUNC SET button to exit the menu.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've got the same issue. At some point I found the menu to change to the toy camera effect, thought that might be fune, now have only that or Auto. Before I'd fumble into the grid lines, eventually figure how to get out but now nothing but Auto or the toy camera symbol. Went through the manual, I can never find P in any of the accessable functions or menu items. 

Never mind, found it. Had to go to the toy camera effect, then press func set, then scroll through modes to P. Whew! It was a lot easier to get lost than to find my way back. 

I'm having the same problem - stuck in Auto mode When I click up - I get FaceSelf Timer. Can anyone help me?
Announcements