cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Shot SX 30 IS

rodtree20744
Apprentice

Hi my name is Rod Northern, I use my Power Shot SX 30 IS for low light pictures, like in concerts. When I first got the camera the SCN setting was perfect for these types of picture. I dropped it and sent it away for repairs, when I got the camera back I was told that the lens had been replaced and the IOS was updated.  When I was playing with the camera, noticed that the SCN setting no longer displayed low light. When I asked about it, I was told that the updated len automatically adjusted for low light now.

I find that my camera does not give me the same nice pictures I used to get when it dark and the light source is on the stage. Does anyone have any good hints on how to set the camera to get my good pictures back.

thanks

Rod

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

Rod,

From what I have seen, most low light modes in the SX series of cameras is done with lower resolution, about 2 megapixels. Try setting the camera on Auto ISO at a lower resolution like 2 MP and see how that goes. I've tried this on the SX150 IS and it works pretty well. The shutter speed will be more favorable than at higher resolution (in my case 14 MP yielded shutter speeds of about 1 sec, the 2 MP was about 1/4 sec). I shot in P mode to let the camera make the other decisions. Let me know how you make out!

Have fun!

Steve "Smack53"

Thanks Steve, I will trying it soon on my next jazz cruise concert.

Rod

Announcements