cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Shot A1400 - Grainy Pictures & the color red

BarbaraLil
Apprentice

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my new Power Shot A1400 takes such grainy pictures. And also,  when I take pictures of red clothing they shows as pink.

I'm a complete amatuer and mainly take pictures of clothing to sell for my eBay hobby. I prevouisly had a Kodak and never had the grainy problem. Was hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I shoot mainly indoors and use the AUTO setting. Nothing fancy or tricky.

I'm sure that you may need more information and I'm happy to provide that for any help.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

pjmacd
Enthusiast
If you are shooting indoors, what type of light source are you using? You may need to change the white balance from Auto to Tungsten or Fluorescent, depending on your light source.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I use regular light bulbs in the room and actually have one that points directly at the item. They are all regular bulbs, but it is quite bright in there. Sometimes the flash on the camera flashes, sometimes not. How would I change the white balance? It seems every time I try to change something on the camera not much happens. I did find the way to RESET everything. I just took a few more pictures and the red color thing is OK now. Could be better.  The problems seem to be so random. I'm not sure what it happening. If you could tell me about the white balance thing I'll try that. Thanks, again!

I don't have an A1400, but somewhere in the menus there should be a white balance setting. When you find it, try changing the white balance from whatever it is set on now (probably Auto) to Tungsten (i.e. light bulb) and see if that makes a difference.

I looked at the A1400 manual online. I think the info you need is on pages 53 and 103 of the user manual.

Whoa! That is A LOT of information and stuff to read through. I thought I got an easy camera. I'll need some time to read, digest and figure out what the heck to do! Thanks for pointing be in the right direction.

You're welcome, good luck!
Announcements