Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Polarizer

Often when I use a polarizer on my SX60 HS (67 mm GTX MC-s CPL) in an adapter) the sky is not uniformly colored.  This is most pronounced when the lens is 90 degrees to the sun.  I know that the polarizing effect is strongest at 90 dergrees but I've never had this happen with other cameras or polarizers.  See photo.  Thoughts?

PolarizerCactus.JPG

Valued Contributor

Re: Polarizer

[ Edited ]

@ojreichman wrote:

Often when I use a polarizer on my SX60 HS (67 mm GTX MC-s CPL) in an adapter) the sky is not uniformly colored.  This is most pronounced when the lens is 90 degrees to the sun.  I know that the polarizing effect is strongest at 90 dergrees but I've never had this happen with other cameras or polarizers.  See photo.  Thoughts?

PolarizerCactus.JPG

Looking at your photo it looks to me like the lens is at a wide angle, which in 35mm equivalence terms is around 21mm.  Wide angle use of a polarizer can create this issue as explained in the following Article on Polarizers from the Cambride in Colour website.  One way to confirm this is to take a series of images where the polarizer is at its strongest, but zoom in progressively and see if the phenomenon goes.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - I forgot to mention that It was in the extreme wide angle for this camera. 

Esteemed Contributor

There  you go, as mentioned the polarizer effect only happens over a limited angle of view, so your results are expected.