cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical viewfinder

falsedawn
Apprentice

I'm looking to upgrade my Powershot SD1100IS ELPH with a similar-sized new Canon. I'm finding a dearth of models with an optical viewfinder (as my 1100IS has). An LCD viewfinder is worthless to me in bright sun and with my requirement for reading glasses. I don't want a larger camera and I want to stick with Canon. Is all hope lost?

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

I hear you about the optical viewfinder falsedawn. It seems the only camera in the compact size with one is the Canon PowerShot A1400, but it's not really an upgrade to what you have. Very few manufacturers are using optical viewfinders any more in the compact cameras to keep them pocketable. The newer ELPH's are supposed to have much brighter screens with about 900,000 dot resolution, which is supposed to help with the sun glare issue. I haven't actually seen one used outdoors in bright sunlight, so I would strongly recommend you try one out before purchasing from the internet if possible to make sure it will work for you.

Good luck with your search.

Smack53

Thanks, smack53. You're right that it's not much of an upgrade. I especially don't like the size (0.5" bigger in all dimensions and over an ounce heavier than my camera) or the shape (with the "wart" on the right hand side). It does have newer firmware and higher pixel count sensor, but it's size is not acceptable. I guess I'll stay with my current camera.

Announcements